1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno Commanders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DaveOhio, Dec 21, 2000.

1. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

I feel the best snow plow set-up of all time was the Dodge factory belt drive system of the 70's. A fan belt turned a small hydraulic pump that fed a manually operated valve body. Two rods with knobs were at the driver's left knee. Absolutely bulletproof. There was no electricity used. (except the lights) The fluid was warm to the touch, and the blade as fast as anything. Teamed with a 360 and auto transmission, nothing could touch it. It was either made by Dodge, Parker-Hannifin, or Meyer. It came with a meyer blade. Shame the truck bodies couldn't hold up. Wish I had my 3 back. Brownie, Blue, and Maria.

We've got bossez and meyer e 60s and a diamond from Maine. The diamond is belt drive, but a weak second.

I miss them as I write this. I honestly believe the only reason it's gone is becuse it never broke down. Comments Gentlemen?

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Hate to say it but belt drive systems are becoming a thing of the past in pick ups and 1 tons.

Electric is really the standard for the most part now.

Geoff

3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My dad had a 77 3/4 ton sno commander,that thing rocked.It was a great truck,but ,rust and later on,electrical gremlins did it in.It did have a Meyer plow setup on it,with the ynderhood pump.I love the underhood hydro's,but like Geoff said they are becoming obsolete,mostly because of complex instalation(compared to electric),and lack of room under the new trucks hoods.(have you worked on a PSD lately?It is packed under the hood).The fisher belt system is nice,but it is a little slow.I buy electric minute mounts,only because i buy newer trucks every 2-3 yrs and keep the same plow set-ups ,so its easier to change over an electric system.

4. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

My Dodge isn't a Sno-commander, but I do love it. I've been a lifelong Ford man, but I couldn't pass up the deal on the Dodge I bought. Glad I bought it.

It's a 75 1/2 ton shortbox powerwagon. Factory 440, 4 speed. Previous owner swapped in a dana 60 and 8 lug dana 44 front, with 3/4 ton springs. Western 7.5 Pro-plow. My Dodge will turn on a dime, with tons of power. Two fuel tanks hold 50 gallons so I can plow for a long time, the 440 isn't quite as thirsty as the 460 in my Ford. The thing is bulletproof, not pretty as the earlier Dodge's are prone to rust. Next step is a locker for the rear, some pro-wings and a urethane cutting edge.

5. DanG

DanG Senior Member

My first "real" plow truck was a mid 70's dodge power wagon 318 auto short bed full time four wheel drive. It had that funky front axle that was a pain to work other than that.
    It was a good truck till it got T-boned & totalled at a light at 2:30 am one night when I was out plowing.
    Plowed like a beast but the fuel milage sucked.
    All I ever had to do with it was change the pump belt every couple of years (but always carried a spare)

6. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

My father had a 76 powerwagon with a 4 spd and the fan belt driven meyer. The truck was unstoppable except for the fact that the frame totally rotted and eventually cracked all the way through in the blizzard of 96.

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you bought a new 3/4 ton Dodge with factory (Meyer) plow you got the decals thrown in for good measure.

8. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Last year i sold my 78 power wagon.It had 260,000 mi and still going strong with the 360 auto . The only part that was rotted was the bed and the only thing tha ever broke on it was that darn meyers plow. The plow pump was the best belt drive pump i ever used. I should of listen to my wife and kept it.