1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sno Bear

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by toiyabe, Nov 27, 2003.

1. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Two Points. First, I am unable to find the website for Sno Bear. Could they be out of Business?
    Second, I read a sequence of posts severely bashing Sno Bear. I think it safe to say that my location gets more snow than most, 20 to 30 feet per year. Storms of 3 to 6 feet several times per year. This is at the 6,000 foot level in the Sierra. I plow one mile of dirt road with an 80 foot elevation difference. I use an 8 year old Snow Bear originally $1,100 from Cost Co. First on a Dodge Raider,,, too light... Now on an old
    Suburban. I plow every 6 inches, usually our classic Sierra Cement water content 10-15%. The plow has held up well, yes it has needed some welding, primarily from the Raider having to ram the snow, the Suburban is heavy enough to push through. The main draw back is the inability to apply down pressure. I have also gone through several Superwinch motors. The winches/motors don't last

2. www.snowbear.com Yes, I've seen them at Home Depot, thats what gave me the idea to get a plow. :)

3. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I hope your second point is not implying that a snow bear works as good as a real plow. My lawn tractors have bigger plows on them than a snow bear. It might do you good for your driveway but it ain't a real plow for a contractor.

:rolleyes:

Ray

4. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Reply to ray

You might be right Ray, but then again, I am not sure you read my post. I don't have a drive way, I do have a mile of ranch road, and I imagine I plow more snow in a season than an eastern plow pushes in 5 or 10 years. No commercial outfit here uses a plow on a truck, except for roads. Solamente loaders. It is easy to pick on anything, but the reality is the plow works and works well. Remember this too, When I have to shovel my roof, (which isn't every winter) I throw the snow up.

5. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

LownRanger

Thanks,, your post was extremely helpful..

6. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Yes toiyabe, there may be a lot of people who "pick on" snowbear plows, maybe too much. But as you indicated from the problems you've had in your first post, they're not near the quality of plow as the standard models. You usually don't have to worry much about down pressure since you have the increased weight, welds are rarer due to better construction, and the hydraulics are much more reliable than the winch set-up.

If you're happy with your equipment then I don't think you should change, but there are much better, although costlier, plows out there. But along with everything else, you get what you pay for. If I was plowing to make money (I don't), then I would get the best equipment for the job because reliability is the key. For your use, if you don't mind making continuos repairs and plowing more often (since standard pows will handle much more snow), then stay with your snowbear. I looked at snowbears but decided, since I (like you) live in the country and have a lot of friends and neighbors relying on me to help them out, to buy a used standard unit. I have been using Westerns for several years and have only had to make one repair (actually, just an adjustment). And I have plowed a lot of snow.

7. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

NOT TO CAUSE trouble but no way does that snowbear antwhere the aunt of snow as any fischer,western,or meyer plow for that fact.you may push a road thats cake try a parking lot in a big mall where you make a winrow of about 5 feet high and 600-700yard long it wont so dont be tooting the horn

8. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Not making money???

Dear ILHMT-
    How could you not be in this business to make money? Wouldn't you be better off spening your wintetrs in Florida?

9. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Junior Member
    from Indiana

First of all Snowbears are "Personal" plows. They aren't made to be used commercially. For the average homeowner to do his driveway they work great. My brother in law has been plowing my driveway for several years with one. BTW I have one that is 3-4 years old and never been removed from the box that I would like to move.

10. ilhmt

ilhmt Member

Hoosier

According to his first post his snowbear plow is getting very heavy use and he was having problems with it. I merely suggested that he would be better off to buy a standard type plow, but if he was happy with it then nobody should slam him. Snowbear plows are great for city folk (and some country folk) who's main plowing is to do a 50' or less paved driveway on an occasional basis, but no real heavy duty type plowing, hence the name "personal plows". The type of plowing he does (and I do) requires a better plow than that or you'll spend a lot of time making repairs (like he does).
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

imasnowpro:

If I could spend my winters in Florida I wouldn't need a plow at all. But living on a farm, working full time swing shift in a power plant, being an elected County Board member (Vice-Chair), and my wife's ever growing list of honey-do's tend to make it impossible to do a plowing business. I did have one business ask me to do their plowing however. I replied that if they could wait up to 24 hours for me to get there after the snowfall, I'd be happy to do it. They turned me down (imagine that!!). Most days I'm so busy I don't know whether to wind my butt or scratch my watch.
    For me, my snowplow is a tool, no different than a planter or mower. I use it to bust through drifts and to help out my friends and relatives who have come to depend on me to lend a hand, and they don't mind waiting till I get to them. They respond in kind in other ways. That's the Rural Midwest Way!! But my wife's and my plans are to retire to Florida when I can draw a pension and sell everything lock, stock, and barrel (including whatever plow I'm currently using). I envy the folks that plow as a business because I truly do enjoy it.

11. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

ILHMT-
    I hope you're being adequately rewarded for doing all those other things that are keeping you from doing what you truly enjoy.

12. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

easthavenplower??

I'd feel better if I though some of ya'll actually read my post. No way could you use a truck mounted plow to do a parking lot out here. You use a loader (a 960 works well, and often a blower mounted on another 960 in conjunction). If I could post a photo I'd show you my truck parked in front of a 40 foot tall snow berm at the edge of a parking lot. Sno mo's get to worry about hitting powerlines, not fences. For all the money I have spent, (not much) in repairs, I still have spent less than a hydraulic plow would cost me. In a big storm, no truck mounted plow will do the job any way.. I call my neighbor with a loader, that wouldn't change no matter what truck mounted plow I bought.. A big storm is a foot or two a day for 4 + days

13. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

I don't get it. You have property big enough to have a mile long road, you own a suburban and have purchased several winch motors!? Sounds to me like a $3000 plow would have made more sense a long time ago.

14. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

e-mail me a price, I need something for sidewalks

Nate@NCLSLLC.com

15. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Re: easthavenplower??

Toiyabe

I think most people have read your post. We know you have an extraordinary amount of snowfall each year, but most people here are professionals. Unless it is snowing at a rate of 1 - 2 feet per hour, there is no reason they can't plow a lot with a couple trucks. They may need to use a loader to help locate snow into larger piles. When plowing a heavy storm, you don't wait until the last flake falls, you plow WITH the storm, while the snow falls. It is near impossible to plow 2-4 feet of snow without plowing with the storm. You make more money that way and there is less abuse on the equipment. Larger property owners know this and understand that big snow events cost more money to battle. Also, most plow companies include "blizzard clauses" in their contracts which explains the added costs and also how they will battle the storm.

In short, there is more to plowing than just waiting for the snow to stop and getting in your truck and dropping the blade. Spend some time and read some past posts. :)

16. toiyabe

toiyabe Banned
    from Tahoe

Beating a dead horse

In my desire to avoid sounding like an arrogant know it all, perhaps I sounded ignorant. There is no way I could with words describe to you the difference between what happens in the east and what happens in the Sierra. In what may sound unavoidably arrogant, it is the difference between little league and the majors. But,, if it were possible for you to come out here and visit with a contractor during a storm cycle. It would give you an appreciation of the difference. In my case, I am willing to use what I use, because I allocate my never plentiful money to my children, and there is a loader in the valley. I think, if I can remember back that far, my original point was, tools work.. don't get caught up in the "gotta have the most expensive" game. Contractors are different of course.

17. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

Re: Reply to ray

18. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

19. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

I bought a Snobear as a back-up plow on a whim a few years ago.

That plow went out once...sold it the next day.

20. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

easthavenplower

son don't get all roided up.you have the next step up from sno bear on your rig MEYERS.

you might wanna use the spell checker too son it helps me.

LOL

Toiyabe

go easy on easthavenplower.he's new to reading he came from west haven.

now sno bear is good for personal driveway use.country roads son you must be on something.

Hoosier 303

send me a PM on the Sno Bear you got.i have a radio controlled truck 1/10 scale that it would work perfect on
    :D