1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sneak peek

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by PTSolutions, Nov 5, 2011.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Trailering home the dk90. More pics soon...

[​IMG]

2. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

That is a Kioti isn't it.

3. SDP Hauling

SDP Hauling Senior Member

looks good...cant wait to see more

4. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

That's the tractor you'll being using the Normand on?

5. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

you wanna take a guess at what really pisses me off??????

when people only use 2 chains to tie down equipment...... that is a 4 chain peice of equipment.

you have the fuel tank in the bed of the truck strapped down more secure then the 10k equipment on the trailer.

not sure how you do it in ohio but please dont bring that around our michigan roads. we see enough scary stuff around here.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Easy there sea-biscuit. :dizzy:

7. PTSolutions

I think the craters you guys call potholes on your MI roads would snap even the g70 1/2" chain I used to tie down an 8000lb tractor. They use 5 chains on big excavators, im sure 2 is plenty for this "big iron". And the fuel tank in the back is empty fyi.

Dont make assumptions you can't back up, you come off sounding like a DICK

8. fireside

fireside Senior Member

He is 100% correct. Any equipment with wheels is a 4 point chain down. That means four diffrent chains to four points on the machine. No snap chain binders at all. It's in the federal motor carrier book. Over kil yes, Two/ 2" strapes can hold down a 15,000 lb roll of steel but not a 8000lb tractor. Big fines in my state for not having it secure.
    As for 5 chains on an excavator yes thats true four points and one for the boom.
    The fuel tank is no problem at all as long as it's marked. It can be full no fine,but 5 gallon plastic gas cans $500 per can fine.

9. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

there wasnt any assumptions made. i can clearly see 2 chains on the tractor. that is against the law thats all there is to it. i see way to many scary things around here. one of these days people are going to get hurt and it wont be so funny will it. tie the stuff down correctly and make it easier on your self in the long run.

10. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yes, federal motor carrier book has a boat load of rules and regs, but the rules and regs. that you need to follow are the rules and regs. your state has adopted. Just because they are in the fmc does not mean your state follows all of them. Here in Vermont any piece of equipment that is under 10,000 pounds only requires two chains or straps one on each end and those two chains or straps need to add up to half of the weight of what is being secured. 10,000 and up require a minimum of four chains (regardless of grade or size) one on each corner and those four also need to add up to half the weight of what is being secured. Now if it has an hydraulic attachment, blade, bucket and so on, anything that can move separate from the undercarriage, that also needs to be secured. If you can do that with four chains then your good, if not you will need to use one or more to secure it.

ProTouchGrounds, nice rig keeps us updated!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Last time i checked there is no law saying you cant use snap binders.

I myself dont use snap binders cuz they suck. But they are still legal. (i think)

I would have chain that down with 2 chains as well. But i still would have had 4pts.

12. C&T Landscaping

C&T Landscaping Member

People will find anything to ***** about these days....

Nice tractor ProTouch, hope it does well this season.

13. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Prove it.

Reason being is there are so many old wives fables that are FACT and get passed around the coffee counter at the truck stop along with the CB.

FMCSA regs are public and on the internet.

Please post proof that snap binders have been outlawed.

If they are thats news to me along with hundreds of flatbed truckers running the highways every day.

14. CoastalSnow&Ice

CoastalSnow&Ice Junior Member

????

15. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Nice tractor Protouch! Keep us posted on how it works this winter. I have been thinking for a few years now that a tractor with a pusher or Cage would be the hot ticket for us, but havent pulled the trigger........Yet!

Bossman

16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

Snap chain binder can't be used on tire equipment due to tire flex. a ratch binder will move with tire flex and not release. A snap binder can come open just from the tire flex.
    Snap binders are to be used on solid objects(no movement or bounce) they are not outlawed.
    As for plastic gas cans they are not rated for comm use or travel without a rated mounting bracket. Metal gas cans are the only ones to carry the correct ratings for comm use.Ct OSHA also states comm use will be metal cans only. plastic cans are for private use only under there stupid laws. They also related that you can'nt carry more than 15 gallons of gas in cans.this all came out during my road side safety inspection. They give out tickets for it like candy canes at xmas around here. As time goes on budgets get cut they are finding more fine line laws/ items to fine you for.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  17. BPS#1

BPS#1 2000 Club Member

Like I said those regs are public on the net.

It should be easy to post a link to the regs.

18. CoastalSnow&Ice

CoastalSnow&Ice Junior Member

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.130

Specific Securement Requirements by Commodity Type

§ 393.130What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
    (a) Applicability. The rules in this section apply to the transportation of heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery which operate on wheels or tracks, such as front end loaders, bulldozers, tractors, and power shovels and which individually weigh 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more. Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section, with §393.128, or in accordance with the provisions of §§393.100 through 393.114.
    (b) Preparation of equipment being transported. (1) Accessory equipment, such as hydraulic shovels, must be completely lowered and secured to the vehicle.
    (2) Articulated vehicles shall be restrained in a manner that prevents articulation while in transit.
    (c) Securement of heavy vehicles, equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels. (1) In addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, heavy equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction using a minimum of four tiedowns.
    (2) Each of the tiedowns must be affixed as close as practicable to the front and rear of the vehicle, or mounting points on the vehicle that have been specifically designed for that purpose.

Interpretation for 393.130:

§393.130 What are the rules for securing heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery?
    *Question 1: If an item of construction equipment which weighs less than 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) is transported on a flatbed or drop-deck trailer, must the accessory equipment be lowered to the deck of the trailer?

Guidance: No. However, the accessory equipment must be properly secured using locking pins or similar devices in order to prevent either the accessory equipment or the item of construction equipment itself from shifting during transport.

*Question 2: How should I secure the accessories for an item of construction equipment which weighs 4,536 kg (10,000 lb.) or more, if the accessory devices would extend beyond the width of the trailer if they are lowered to the deck for transport?

Guidance: The accessory devices (plows, trencher bars, and the like) may be transported in a raised position, provided they are designed to be transported in that manner. However, the accessory equipment must be locked in place for transport to ensure that neither the accessories nor the equipment itself shifts during transport.

*Question 3: A tractor loader-backhoe weighing over 10,000 pounds is being transported on a trailer. The loader and backhoe accessories are each equipped with locking devices or mechanisms that prevent them from moving up and down and from side-to-side while the construction equipment is being transported on the trailer. Must these accessories also be secured to the trailer with chains?

Guidance: No. However, if the construction equipment does not have a means of preventing the loader bucket, backhoe, or similar accessories from moving while it is being transported on the trailer, then a chain would be required to secure those accessories to the trailer.

*Editor’s Note: This interpretation was issued after the interpretations were published in the Federal Register in April 1997.

19. PTSolutions

This thread went downhill fast. I hate the snap binder as well. But we secure it with a 3ft bar so there's a ton of tension on it. Plus we have a cable to swcure the handle to the chain then we wrap the slack around the handle so there's 2 checks to make sure it doesn't open. Then we tighten the ratchet binder in back to further make sure everything is tight I watched the tires squat down quite a bit as we tightened it down.

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the topic. Ill keep u guys posted as soon as the blower gets here this week

20. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Jesus a guy just showing a piece of nice equipment and he gets **** because he only has two chains on it. Grow the **** up! some people on here just look over pics so they can find something to ***** about if thats all your comment is going to be then say it to youself and let it go!

Nice tractor post pics after you get it set up and some action shots!