1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snapper Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Keith P, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Keith P

Keith P Junior Member

I'm thinking of purchasing a Snapper i55223 22 inch wide blower 5.5 HP. I really like the local Snapper dealer and their services. What do you guys think and what do you charge? I'm only looking to do houses around my neighborhood, 10-20 houses.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. dunkmydonut

dunkmydonut Junior Member

That many drives will take you a long time. I have an 8hpX26", and I wouldn't consider doing 10, nevern mind 20. If you're determined to take this on, I would get a larger blower...beter yet, a truck with a plow. I don't mean to discourage you. If you can handle it...wish you luck. Arien's sells a "PRO" 13hpX36". That would be more realistic. Also Simplicity sells one 38" with a Briggs 13hp engine. Just something to consider.
  3. dzd9fy

dzd9fy Junior Member

Question for you on any snowthower, will they deal with the snow the city replows into your drive after you have the service come out and clean your drive and walks??

I swear they wait until all the neighbors have a clear drvie, then the big ciy trucks plows us all back in.
  4. dunkmydonut

dunkmydonut Junior Member

Most if not all the 2 stage blowers will handle it. Some single stage blowers will also, but it can be real tough, if the snow freezes. The 2 stage are the ones with the powered wheels or tracks.
    Very frustrating, when you get plowed in after you've cleaned out your driveway once already. I know the feeling.
  5. smiti105

smiti105 Member

10 to 20 houses with a blower seems like a whole lot. Sounds like you need a truck with a plow. Bigger blowers will handle when the town plow closes you back in but it is much much heavier than the other snow. It takes some time to get it out and the blower is gonna bog down a little. Good luck.
  6. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

How it handles the EOD depends on the type of snow. I have an Ariens 1128 and it won't move the slush at the end of my driveway. As others have said 10 to 20 houses seems like a lot for a snowblower. I usually do 4 houses, including my own, and in a big storm it takes about 6 hours to do a good job on them. That time includes some shoveling.
  7. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Farm And fleet has 2 stage snowblowers that are the size of a side walk thats like 4 feet! but the two stage are notorious for clogging on heavy snow so watch out one bad snow and you are in a world of trouble.
    just what i have to say. please don't kill me :gunsfiring:
  8. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

sam's club

I saw a mtd sno pro at sam's club 10hp 29 inch clearing path for 830.00 Not bad price imo.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Junior Member
    from PA.

What size driveway are you talking about? Even a small, one car drive?