1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snapped my winch line & cant use the plow - Help!

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by RichTJ99, Dec 27, 2012.

1. RichTJ99

RichTJ99 Member

Hi,

I have a 2011 Kawi Brute Force 750 with a moose plow & a warn RT25 winch. I was plowing & I heard a snap, then the cable was broken.

I looked at the cable & it is not only snapped, but tangled pretty badly. I tried to free spool it out but it looks like its sort of tangled in a knot.

Anyway, I am trying to figure how to get it out so I can have some room to work with it.

From what i looked at online, I think i have the 70207 warn mounting plate. I am looking for instructions so I can figure out how to take it off.

Any suggestions on what i can do? It looks tangled so I dont know if I am better off taking it off & or bringing it to the dealer (not what I want to do).

Thanks,
    Rich

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a way to make a clean cut in the cable? Like a cutting wheel?

3. soapy

soapy Junior Member
    from idaho

You probsably held the winch in the up position to long. Get a long pair of needle nose pliers and you can reach in a grab the end of the cable and shoudl be able to pull it out while spooling the winch. Any hardware store should have a cable clamp that you can use to make a loop in the end of the cable. Depending on the type of hook you have you may be able to reattach it or pick one up at the hardware store. If you don't have a cut off wheel on a minigrinder you can tape the cable with a few wraps of masking tape and cut the cable with a hack saw for a clean cut.

4. bullseye

bullseye Member

Soapy has all the right ideas !!! I agree with what he said !! Thumbs Up

I have also found using needlenose plyers works good...it's also nice to have one person on the quad running the winch ...in and out (when you tell them LOL) ..cause some times you can get a better grip on things on a different angle.

I use a cold chisel and and dolly to "cut" my winch cable the last time....mine to was frayed pretty bad and just want to clean it up abit !! Line it up ...and a good hard strike !! Clean as a whistle !!! LOL

Ohhh awe...... wear leather gloves too !!! Steel slivers from the cable are a bugger !!!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  5. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

6. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

it happens every year once or twice for me my first time with my new winch was the other day,right during a storm to boot then my battery died.

just my luck nothing a hundred dollars and multiple trips to the store didnt fix, but it always happens when ya need it the most.

you can hook it to something that doesnt move and try and pull it out like that reeling it in and out it will soon come out atleast it works for me,

but the reason you are tangling is you are reeling it in when the line has slack in it meaning the plow is on top of the snow, make sure you pull back off the pile before you reel it in.

and occasionally pull out your line and respool it

7. ALC-GregH

from pa

All good advise however, a strap will stop it from happening again.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  8. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

Use a strap for the winch and re-spool it once or twice a year. It sucks when they fail but they are awesome when you need them.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Reminds me to pick up a couple clamps to throw in the sidewalk trucks

10. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

yea but a strap wont help me get out of the mud lol, well past a couple feet anyway, besides its a new winch im in the dont fix it if it aint broke crowd,

but i know what ya mean:mechanic:

11. ALC-GregH

from pa

If you have to re-spool a strap on the winch one or two times a year, you're doing something wrong or you're using a strap that is too thin. If done right, it will last years and years without problems.

12. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I think I'm going on 3 years with the same tow trap for plowing and no frays. And mine is only attached with duct tape to the winch drum and a few wraps around it. I take it off after plow season and replace it with the regular steel winch cable and put the roller fairlead back on. It only takes a few minutes.

13. ALC-GregH

from pa

I don't even bother removing the strap anymore. I use to take the wheeler out and joy ride. Now it sits more then anything. I might even sell it since I have a plow on my truck now. I wouldn't mind having a utv but even that will more then likely sit most of the time.

14. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

I hear you, mine is used more for yard work than play. I might get out once a year for a ride but I still want to have that cable just in case. I am also getting lazier though, so maybe I'll leave it there after this season.

15. ALC-GregH

from pa

It will be two seasons after this one. I haven't even used it since I got the truck plow. I kinda feel bad for the thing. It just sits there wanting to do some work but the battery died on it so I took it out and haven't gotten one yet. Poor thing..... LOL I'm still going to consider a utv.

16. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

soapy does it the same as i do ,start the season with a 20 ft cable so you can keep repairing when it snaps and it will again. you only use the last 3 to 4' feet of cable.

17. jmbones

jmbones Senior Member
    from NE PA

lol, or use a tow strap and never repair it!

18. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Is it possible to use a chain like a Snowbear?