1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snapped fill plug on E47

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by FrFtr28, Dec 5, 2010.

1. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

So I managed to snap the fill plug on my E47 today. Not just the vent, but the large plug as well. The head snapped clean off leaving the threaded part in the pump body. No place is open today (Sunday), anyone have a temporary fix to get me through today? Can I remove the top part of the pump and back the broken threads out with a new bolt?

Thanks

2. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

If you remove the top cap you will need a set of the nylon sealing washers that go under the three nuts, they have to be replaced to maintain a seal.

Without seeing it I'm having a tough time thinking of a temporary fix, but I'm thinking that fill plug also works as a vent, so keep that in mind for anything that you do that you don't have it totally airtight.

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Can you put a ez-out in there and back out whats left in there? Do not just put a plug in there because that acts like a check valve to let pressure escape without letting water in.

4. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I will work on getting a picture uploaded in the next few minutes. Do you think everything should still work with the plug out? I tried raising it just now, but it won't go up, the motor spins but that's it.

5. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

The plug itself was hollow so all that is left is the threads. Will an ez-out still work?

6. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Here's what I'm working with.

plug.jpg

7. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Update

Just as an update: Everything worked without the fill plug. One of the solenoid wires had broke right at the solenoid, hence why the plow wouldn't move. I fixed that and got the plow to move up and down, but the blade is stuck left. I'm thinking one of the valves needs to be replaced.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

If you have a large enough one it should work great. Also, you could take a small chisel and very lightly tap the edge of the threads counter clockwise to unscrew them. Just be care not to damage the cap itself. Should turn rather easily since the top of the plug is broken off.

9. DRBLawnBuster

DRBLawnBuster Senior Member

you have to put somethign over the fill hole cause you wanna be able to take the plug out easy when you need to add fluid. and i would say check you b and c valves they might be dirty or bent

10. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

I have duct tape covering the fill hole right now as a temporary fix. Turns out the problem with angling was my quick connects. Got new couplers, but the old ones are being a pain and don't want to come off. :realmad:

11. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

EZ out isn't working. What's left in there is still very tight. I even had a pipe wrench on the EZ out and the thing still wouldn't turn. I think my next move is to try and weld a nut or bolt to the old threads.

12. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Welding a bolt to the old plug didn't work either, that just snapped the welds when I tried to turn the bolt. Anyone have any other ideas before I order a new cap?

13. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

take the cap off and punch it out from the inside put some heat 2 it with a small torch

14. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

What exactly do you mean by "punch it out"? I have a new plug, think I can thread that in through the bottom and push the old one out? It's only been in there a couple weeks so it shouldn't be rusted.

15. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Threading from the other side won't work....ever use a jam nut? The bolt will just tighten, it won't move the threads. You could drill it out and helicoil it-but that would be near impossible to do without removing the cover, as the chips will fall into the pump.

You could also (depending on how thick the remaining part is-hard to tell from the picture) get a smaller pipe plug, hold it partway down, and weld a bead around the edge of the pipe plug. Then, you could us e an allen wrench to back out the whole thing. Be careful if you try that to not weld the old plug right to the housing. Then you will really be done for.

16. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

That's what I was thinking would happen.

There's not much of a 'lip' left from the old plug to weld to. We tried a skinny bolt that left room between that and the wall of the old plug and put some tacks in there, but the tacks broke as soon as we put force on the bolt.

17. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Try the tacks again after you clean the part off the brake cleaner really thoroughly. If you are trying to weld through oil, it will not work. Also, if you can get a pipe brush (steel bristles) down in there to get the metal shiny, you might have a shot. Obviously clean the bolt really well also.

Ground out the bolt, and start the weld there. Force the puddle from the bolt outward to include the snapped plug. That might give you a decent shot. Be very careful to not include the housing in your weld.

18. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

You might be farther ahead to just replace the cap if it's in there that bad I think I got one a couple years back for like $40-$50 my local plow shop had it in stock.

19. FrFtr28

FrFtr28 Member

Ended up taking the cap off, drilling out the hole, tapping with 1/4 pipe thread and replaced with a new plug. We'll see if it holds pressure.

Thanks everyone for the help!

20. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I hope you use a vent plug, otherwise it will eventually blow the cap off.