1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Snapped a fitting, can I tap and die this out?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by martyrant, Jan 21, 2013.

1. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

I was doing a not-so-smart fix on bending the frame back and accidentally snapped a hydraulic fitting off. The valve part looks ok, but the double threaded fitting holding both together is what snapped I believe. I circled it in yellow; can I tap and die this out safely?

Also, are the things circled in red the poppets that I would want to check if the blade does not move left (but moves right and up/down fine)?

Added a picture of the piece I broke off as well.

Thanks for any input in advance

IMG_2363.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Ouch. Yup, you can attempt it. The problem being the fittings aren't aluminum, but the manifold is...slowly progress downward in bit sizes. You may find it will come out with a little persuasion...tapered flat head, or chisel.

Your issue to movement is probably related to cable adjustment....it's not even fastened properly.

3. RepoMan207

from Maine

Where in Maine are you?

4. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Near Brooks, midcoast (ish?).

5. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

I've checked the cables, the motor runs when the stick is to the left, it just doesn't move. It turns to the right fine though like I said. I've read around on the forums that a good starting point to not turning one way but working the other way is to check the poppets for any broken springs/etc., just wanted to confirm that those were the things I circled in red.

You think just sticking a flat head in there and trying to get it to turn would be worthwhile? I'm going to have to borrow my dad's tap & die set this weekend and put it off until then otherwise.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

An over-sized easy-out should get that out. No drilling necessary.

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I agree... oversizes indeed though. I got a big set through Grainger in case anyone is looking for them...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  8. White Gardens

Worst case scenario, you could take brake cleaner and clean the broken fitting up extremely well, use JB weld and use it to attach a bolt to the inside of the broken off fitting. Let it sit for a day or two, then screw out.

But, and easy out would be the cleanest and simplest way.

9. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Thanks White Mts/Repo for pointing me towards the easy-outs...would I be able to find an oversized one at casa depot or something like aubuchon/sears? I see them on amazon, a big set of them is ~$50. They had this smaller set but I'm not sure if there's one the right size in there.

I gave the flat head a shot, the thing is definitely in there past getting it out with something like that.

10. White Gardens

If you don't need a whole set, I'd look around at local hardware stores and see if they have just one you can pick up first.

11. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Nice, wasn't sure if they would sell them in singles. Sorry I read your name as Mountains before. Thanks White Gardens.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's worth a shot..there isn't much in there, all you need is a good snag, and she's coming out.

Keep in mind that you're talking about 2 different functions here, the motor will kick on regardless of the position of the cable lever at the pump. Once you touch the controller, the pump is initiated in all directions but down.

I'll get something together for you.......brb

Again...where in Maine are you?

13. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

I had the controller out of the truck before I installed it (and was simply standing next to the plow) and I could see the cable push the little metal lever (and could hear the motor going) but I will double check this again when my wife gets home. The dipstick I have is the ground-activated one (no on/off switch). I'm near Brooks [posted it right after you asked], it's midcoast-ish? I'm new to Maine, so I don't know what areas are considered what...I'm a ways from you though, essentially Newport, Maine.

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ahyup, I missed that. I know where that is. I was hoping you were just around the corner, but not so much.

Once you get the coupler fixed, and the hose hooked back up, remove that cable from the octagon looking port, and rotate the far right side upwards 45°, as your wife initiates the controller...if it moves swiftly, then it's an adjustment issue.

I'll get you a few diagrams and a mechanics guide so you'll have something to go by once you get to that point.

http://library.westernplows.com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/62880_060304_rescanned.pdf

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  15. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Thank you Ryan, that diagram is very helpful. I'm gonna go try and get the easy out tonight and give what you suggested a shot.

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

10-4, I'd download that manual from the provided link above as well, and give it a look over. Disregard that it's Western; Fisher and Western are one in the same when it comes to electrical and pumps. I like this version over Fisher's...much more detailed. I use it every time I work on buddies relic...I mean plow lol.

17. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Yeah, the fisher manuals suck compared to the Western's...wasn't sure until you said it, but I had a feeling their parts were pretty much interchangeable. I was able to use that easy out and get the rest of the fitting out and replace it, but I ran out of light before I could get the plow back on to test the position of the lever. Thanks again. I'll check back after I can test with the plow on.

18. White Gardens

Nice, did you end up finding one at a hardware store?

19. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Hey there I am from Liberty.... My thoughts on the broken fitting is to use an easyout also.... I have a selection of them if you want to come here..Or I am sure Napa in Belfast would be able to fix you up.... Or go to Cox Machine on rt 3 in Searsmont They have every size that you would need and they are very knowlegable about plows and such ( they make an awesome wing) good luck

20. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Yep, they had singles like you said. Was able to grab a bit & the easy out for $8. Thanks for that suggestion White, it really made that thing a breeze to get out.