1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sms

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Oct 14, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Got an email from corporate today looking to see if I'd be interested in doing a handful of family dollars and a best buy. Already thinking I'm going to pass, and most likely will when I get their pricing. Seems as though they tell you what they are going to pay lol....

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

Many companies like this have certain budgets for seasonal services, so they do tell you what they will pay.... and usually it isnt much

4. ducaticorse

from we

Yeah, not too much. i just got the pricing

5. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

You and about 50 other contractors in your area got that email....Pricing is pretty low and service pretty high....They will find someone that will do it for their pricing....payup

6. ducaticorse

from we

Yes, I assume they did. Believe me, I don't feel special about receiving the correspondence, especially given the pricing that goes along with it. The only positive thing is that all but one of the properties listed is withing 3 square miles of my existing route, and none of them except for a best buy would slow us down to a point where it would have to be factored in to existing service times/schedule. Its just the money is SOOOOOOOOOOO LOWWWWWWWW The Family Dollars pay out $55 for a walkway shovel and salt app...

7. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I would tell them to pound sand

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

On the surface it seemed like SMS was willing to pay very well to service our local Family Dollar but I passed once I found out that I had to call in before/after service, get a manager's signature, snap photos, submit a blood sample, re-name my first born SMS, yada yada yada....

Too much hassle to do a 30 minute job.

9. ducaticorse

from we

Lol, kinda funny. I've worked with other management companies that require a call in call out. Easy to overlook, but it's better than submitting a bill if you ask me. I'd take photos now just to cover my ass in a law suit, but I stop at giving blood and selling birthrights of my children.

10. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Bet your wife wanted to see that blood sample,so,when you call sms does he come to you yet?:eek:

11. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

I plow a Burger King for SMS. Very easy company to deal with and they respond to emails/calls quickly.

Yes you have to call a number order in after you service, but not before, no pics, nor talk to any manager. Like I said, pretty easy.

Pay isn't great compared to my own contracts, but almost double what most subs get in an hour.

12. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Dont work for Them. They can legally not pay you a dime. It is happening to everyone. My friends company got screwed out of $38,000 last year. The company he worked for filed for bankruptcy. Aint a damn thing he could do. Court would end up costing more than he'd get. Thats how they get you.

13. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Wow. Management companies must have caught on to the game and now they just sign you up, have you plow and then go Bankrupt? Come on. What's the rest of the story?

14. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't sign the contract, never sent insurance certs, subbed out the work, never made a :30 ivr call, didn't get any job reports signed, never got paid and can't understand why!

15. DuramaxLML-42

There is no more. They sign you on, fine the **** out of you for every little mistake you make and don't pay you at the end of it. Its their game and we are the victims if we dont wise up and take them out.

16. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

So when you read their contract and saw that they could withhold payment for any reason that didn't make you stop and think you shouldn't sign it?

I completely believe that they didn't pay you but it was only after you agreed to their ridiculous contract. I bet you're like a lot of contractors who think "I'll just sign this because if I do the work I'm supposed to do I'll get paid"....yeah, it doesn't work that way with management companies.

17. DuramaxLML-42

I didn't sign it. My buddy did. I worked for Arctic Snow and Ice Control. Est. 1978. I would never work for a 'management company'. I'll be at Arctic again this year.

18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Good choice. Those guys rock. :nod:

19. Dean14

Dean14 Junior Member
    from Midwest

If you follow the rules you'll be fine, it's that simple. Nobody's saying that the rules aren't a pain in the ass; and they are harder to follow if your contact there is a dummy, but overall if you follow the rules you will get paid.

20. brookside prop.

brookside prop. Junior Member

We used to plow 18 burger kings and 2 Sherwin williams in the metro area 2 winters ago for sms, the always paid so that wasn't an issue, no pics required or anything either just the call in after each visit. It just wasn't worth the pay for our company, and we had a few insurance claims from people slipping and falling so our insurance company wasn't to thrilled. If we were a 2 or 3 truck operation with low overhead it would have made more sense. Also you can negotiate pricing with them they will try and tell you they cant but they can.. just my 2cents