1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SMS Assist

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JTVLandscaping, Oct 27, 2011.

1. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Aside from Family Dollar...does anyone know who they service? I got a call from them, I'm assuming it's for Family Dollar but after what I've heard on here I probably won't bother with them. Just got me curious.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I was contacted by them earlier this year for sweeping at Best Buy and Staples (it could've been Office Max but I think it was Staples). Their prices were so low I didn't even respond.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I had a buddy tell me they were so far apart it was even worth negotiating.

4. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

I think they service Best Buy in this area but not totally positive.

5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

They contacted me to Bid Best Buy and Sherwin Williams in this area....

Don't know if they have them....Might have been just a Dog and Pony show to get prices...:confused:

6. Stinson Landscp

Stinson Landscp Member

Got a call today to service a Family Dollar. Havent looked at the site yet. Has anyone worked for them?
    Feedback?

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

They service a walgreens in my area. I was contacted to be a secondary contractor. I have the paperwork sitting on my desk. Not sure if im going to go through with it or not.

8. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

Same here Walgreens in NJ, so far not impressed

9. ChickenKing

ChickenKing Member

+2 for Walgreens. Filling out the site surveys now.

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

They have the entire NE for snow at Walgreens... heard their prices are lower than others.

11. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

I got a call from them to do a local Family Dollar, the price he gave me, was 3x what I would have bid it at. It would be my highest paid parking lot I service. And we're talking a 40-60 dollar lot, not a huge lot by any means.
    I told him no, then he upped the price. desperate?

12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Something that's to good to be true is not.

So either they are paying you too much so you have to ask why?

Or you are working to cheap.

13. Russtrtrt

Russtrtrt Junior Member

Be careful with sms and walgreens. We have a fair contract with a couple of Walgreens. We have one Walgreens with SMS. They will negotiate price, however you are responsible for the entire site including street walks in my opinion. You are also responsible to monitor the site continuously and keep it free and clear of all snow and ice. Here is the catch, the store manager has to approve any service or you won't get paid. Also, when you measure and price a site SMS won't include the street walks.

14. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Was contacted today about a walgreens. I have been searching and will continue to do so but has anyone actually worked for sms? The prices actually seemed pretty fair and it was on a per push basis on a 1 inch trigger. The email specifically said that if there was 4 inches of snow that if it was possible(which we wouldn't have time for anyway) but that it was acceptable to plow the parking lot 4 times.???

15. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

If it's not stated in your contract/agreement with SMS, you dont have to do it. If you think it should be done and sign the contract anyway without bringing it up, then that's your bad for knowing and not acting. You should expect only problems at that point, albeit that it's not your fault, but for not bringing it up.

When as a contractor has it NOT been your responsibility to monitor and keep the site free and clear of snow or slippery conditions, within scope? That is always the responsibility of the contractor lest you are on an "on-demand" service agreement with the customer.

With a 1 inch trigger, it would be in your best interest to plow a four inch storm four times, on a per-push pay setup. Let it go to four inches and you are not only giving up revenue but neglecting and failing to perform to the scope of work already dictated and expected by the customer. A slip and fall with four inches on the ground would fall completely on your back.

16. Russtrtrt

Russtrtrt Junior Member

When you measure for smswalgreen you will be told to only measure the building walk. When you read the contract indemnification it will explain that you will indemnify SMS and Walgreen even if there is an error or omission by SMS or Walgreen. Just know what your getting in to. As for monitoring, we have no problem with it so long as we get paid for service if we find snow or ice. What's the manager going to say when there is no precipitation and you salt the lot.

17. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

Well I dont know how many guys plow every inch but that would be near impossible for us in most storms. I am not saying we would let it get to 4 but if you left a truck there are they going to count that as plowing it once if you never left?

18. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

It would likely be impossible, if you were getting 2-3" an hour... you also don't want to waste your time and money and only plow for $200 and do 4" when you could have plowed it four times for $200 each.