1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SMS Assist takes over NJ Post Offices..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJ4seasons, Dec 3, 2014.

1. NJ4seasons

NJ4seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

Has anyone else had SMS Assist take their NJ Post Office sites? I was informed today that they would be in charge of all of NJ Post Offices now, and we were out of luck. I had signed a contract with a local site directly and worked for them directly in the past with great results

2. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

They took over here too. We retained our sites though, as they were told to keep the incumbent vendors. Pricing is close to the same, but you have to follow all of their bs reporting and guidelines now.

3. NJ4seasons

NJ4seasons Junior Member
    from NJ

I would think we would have 1st right of refusal. I did contact SMS and asked about it, the area manager said they had someone in place and that was that.... I usually do not work for these nationals anymore but curiosity had me I had to call to find out. She even admitted that the pricing was probably lower than what we were getting. It still burns me up though, I service the property on either side of it. I'm wondering if the Postmaster never replied to their request of existing vendor, I heard she was on vacation for a while

4. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I service post offices and haven't heard anything yet.

5. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

Before you sign up with with sms assist or any national,make sure you check for complaints,problems getting paid etc..do a search on here.

6. procut

procut Senior Member

I did a Walgreen's for SMS a few years ago. They did pay, but there reporting BS was a giant pain.

7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

No change for me in ct. Maybe next year,hope not,this is my "golden goose".I don't have a local contract though.It's with their inhouse contracting dept .

8. MVPC

MVPC Junior Member

second year working for sms just doing a small family dollar. They have made the reporting easier with an app on your phone. Quicker than calling the automated phone thing. I like them. Lots of communication.

9. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

I have been doing mine for ten years the post master
    Here told me Usm would be taking them so I called them
    Then compared numbers to past ( contract now vs per push when I did it ) they are paying almost double what I was getting although i do have to deal with the reporting bs
    And longer to get payed so six of one half dozen of the other

10. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

nj4seasons, shoot me a pm sometime.

We've done work for our local post office before, never any plowing though. I think each year some joe blow from many towns away would come in hired by USM to do it for peanuts... We'd get paid well for any minor landscape related maintenance though directly.

Sucks SMS assist has them, they won't pay. They'll jerk the subs around constantly, then claim some failure to honor some part of the scope of work in the contract and a year later, you're still chasing money.

11. Ramairfreak98ss

MVPC is a bogus user above... this guy has one post... its ok, just say you work for SMS and are trying to remove the egg on your face now. Don't lie to the guys, even if you did plow ONE family dollar for them, how much did you invoice them for the year $3,000? They wont even know who you are then.

12. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

What company do you own?

13. Mike_C

Mike_C Senior Member
    from Jersey

SMS is an absolute joke, I've worked with them in the past. Stay the hell away, I'm still owed money (this was years ago) that I know I'll never see, it would cost me more to chase it down than they actually owe me.

14. Ramairfreak98ss

They tend to screw over the guys with the most invested too.. not really the guys who they owe $3000 for two months worth of services at the local mcdonalds, but multiple accounts, multiple special requests, 5 or 6 figures, then they play the games and try to pay out less than 80% when all said and done.

It costs you 20% in your time to collect 80% so just bid 60% of what you want with a normal company and end up in the same spot :mad: