1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smoothing Ice

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by u4ia4, Jan 24, 2008.

1. u4ia4

u4ia4 Junior Member

Hello Ladies and Gents,
    I'm new to this forum and have a question regarding ice management that may bit abit "outside the box." I live just south of Minneapolis, MN and I'm on an ice kickball league. We had our first game last night and I'm pretty disappointed with the ice. It's quite bumpy and hard to play on. The pitched balls bounce all over the place and make kicking quite difficult.

I've offered to plow the field in an effort to keep it a bit more uniform. I'll be using a John Deere 455 Diesel, with a 54" blade. Currently there is a rubber strip mounted to the base of the blade to protect asphalt, but this can be removed and a steel cutting edge is then exposed for use moving gravel, dirt, etc. I'm wonding if any of you guys have any tips about how to smooth this out some. I realize that you are more typically interested in eliminating ice, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

I'll have to trailer the tractor out to the lake and then drive it about 1/2 mile from the launch to the fields. There is no running water available to flood the area and smooth that way. We're quite limited to what I can do with the plow.

I assume the recommendations are going to involve using the steel cutting edge and chipping up any high spots, and then back draging the whole thing to smooth it all out. If you folks have any other tips, I'd sure like to hear them.

Much thanks,

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe try hauling water to the place instead of a tractor. Put some water around the highspots to even it out. Not sure the tractor blade will have enogh weight to chip any ice.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

splash.jpg

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A few years later, The Ice Mower was born Burlington Free Press, January 7. 2003

Icing on the lake
    Photo by Raj Chawla, Free Press
    Inventor Damian Renzello of East Montpelier demonstrates his latest innovation, the Ice Mower, on a small skating rink Monday at Battery Park in Burlington. The ice mower is a modified lawn mower that is used to smooth the surface of backyard rinks and frozen lakes and ponds, making the ice smoother and safer.

ice_mower_news_article_02.jpg

5. u4ia4

u4ia4 Junior Member

The blade itself doesn't have enough weights, but the hydraulics will lift the front of the tractor off of the ground. Tractor with me on it scales a bit over 2,000# and the engine is up front, so I'll bet i can get around 800# of down force without adding weight to to front of it.

6. u4ia4

u4ia4 Junior Member

I've mower eh....I' never thought of that, but I've got a 60" mower deck that runs of the mid PTO...I'll bet If I could get it low enough, that'd work like a champ.....good thinking.....good thinking.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You can drill a hole or cut it out with a chainsaw, then you will have lots of water.

9. u4ia4

u4ia4 Junior Member

That was my initial thought, but I bored down 36" and didn;t hit open water. It's pretty solid where the field is. I know its open about 50-75 yards further out as I've ice fished there within the last week, but I have no means of pumping/hauling it that distance. I suppose I could rig up some sort of a gimmick, but I'm trying to get by doing this pretty cheap. Ultimately, it's for a bunch of drunks playing ice kickball in a bar league.

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

5gal buckets would be cheap :D

11. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a little transfer pump and a car battery. Usually not to expensive, just a little thing. maybe 20-40bucks. Then drill a hole and stick a garden hose down to the water and flood it.

12. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If you have access to water through the ice.
    drill cut a hole in the ice.

Rent a gas powered trash pump and fold your rink over night.

Run the water up and off a grain shovel.
    Move the shovel often, you do not want to melt any ice you want to build it up.

The more you flood it the smoother it will get.

Plow the snow up around the rink this will act as a dam for the water.

13. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Spoken just like a guy who's played a few games of beer league ice pond kickball in his day. :salute: :drinkup::drinkup:

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol :broomball or Pond Hockey.....:drinkup:
    http://superior.pucksystems2.com/page/show/12677

One more thing..
    Remember to drain your hose..

The water line;) for your pump and drain it every time you stop....

As long as the water is moving it will not freeze up on you..

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  15. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

16. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i got a team from jerzee to cahllenge them....:D

17. u4ia4

u4ia4 Junior Member

I think I've got it figured out. I've got a mower lined up to make the ice mower. I've got plenty of metal stock around the shop to make a balanced "shaver blade." I've also got a few old bilge pumps from an old boat that fail to function automatically, but can be wired to work continously.

The plan is to plow the area free of snow and whatever else may be on top of the ice. I'll then take the redneck ice mower and shave off any high points. This will leave me with a pretty smooth surface. If i require it smoother for what I'm doing, I can use the bilge pump to fill 55gal drums. I"m not sure I can round up enough hose to reach over to the field fro mwhere there is water access. I'll try with the hose first though.

Much thanks for all of the great ideas.

18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Post some pictures of everything you try and what the finished field looks like. Some action shots of drunken plates would be funny as well... :drinkup:

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Beat me to it, but I see he tried it.Maybe drill in a different spot? 36" seems like a lot, they only have 18" on Ice Road Truckers.

How do you fold a rink? ;)

Great idea.

The plow will help out a lot. I have noticed that just shoveling my pond off will remove a lot of the high spots. The steel edge will work just fine, even though it is 'too light'. If a shovel works, so will a plow.

20. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

To fold a rink you need an ACME rink folder.
    I think Willey Coyote has a spare one you can get cheep;)

Hey, I spelled "fold" right.