1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smoking Policy??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowtoy, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I'm just wondering if anyone has a smoking policy for their subs or drivers. I will have a new sub this year that smokes, and don't want him to smoke while he's clearing side walks at our accounts. I think it just looks unprofessional. Am i wrong for asking him not to smoke outside of his vehicle? :confused:

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i dont think its a big deal but you could ask him to just smoke in his truck....

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

You are not wrong to require this.....could be met with some resistance though.

We have had sites where NO ONE, even plow truck drivers are allowed to smoke. Big fines if they catch you flipping your cig buts out the window....not to mention if they do catch you smoking you will be banned from the site.

Doesn't matter if you're the foreman, supervisor or owner.....your ID will be pulled and security will not allow you back on site.

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Descrimatation...... !!!!!!

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I gatta tell you from a former smokers stand point, you can tell him whatever you want, but chances are he is going to lite up anyway when no one (of importance) is looking.

There is a new law (not sure if it's fed or state) out now that states you can't smoke within 20' (or is it 20 yards) of any public building.

Good Luck!

6. JR Snow Removal

JR Snow Removal Senior Member

Yup I agree, I use to but quit at the end of last season, now i chew:D o well

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, not wrong at all.

We have customers that don't allow smoking on any of their properties, either.

And I do NOT allow it in my trucks either.

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I quit back in 02, started up again in 06 for all of 5-6 months and then quit again. To each his own, but I think I would rather smoke......Have you seen the damage to your mouth that chew will cause. I'd post some pics, but.....

Pat on the back for quiting smoking though :nod:

9. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

Nothing wrong with it at all, just make sure you enforce it. If you catch him make sure there's a penalty, if not he won't take any of your rules seriously.

10. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You can't tell him squat.
    He's a sub, not an employee.
    If you tell him HOW to do the job, he's an employee and .gov frowns on that.

the property might have rules and the subs might have to obey those and that you can do. But YOUR company policies don't apply to him if he's a SUB.

11. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

As long as I'm signing his cheque he would follow my rules. Without me he has no work. Just my point of view, I have sub's that work for me and they have no problem with simple rules like that.

12. bean7654

bean7654 Member

As a smoker I would also agree that no matter what you tell him he will probably smoke, especially if its his equipment. I tend to smoke more when I am driving and Im sure I will smoke alot when plowing for sure, this will be my first year. If its your equipment then I would think you could tell him not to just as rental car companies do. Note: I have smoked in rental cars!:nono:

13. STRONGARM

STRONGARM Senior Member

I think he's talking about when the guy is out of the truck doing walks????

14. bean7654

bean7654 Member

If thats the case then I would agree that it may be unprofessional, especially residential homes not so much commercial cause im sure there customers smoke in those same lots.

15. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

i see where you heading.. but.. you also got to remember.. these guys are 99% blue collar fellows that just would get along much better not dealing with ******** rules like seperate smoking area, smoking rules etc etc

now.. for saftey reasons.. no smoking while at the fuel tank in the yard.. well duh..

but a guy busting hump for you trying to get your acount done in time.. id leave him alone..

or atleast.. be polite and toss the cig before entering majority of public view

i worked for a place that went from smoking to no smoking ban (outside on the property, AND even adjacent properties as well.. meaning, you can smoke on the neighbors lawn.. the nerve... still gets me fired up!!! ).. i tell you.. its a kick in the nuts.. and it wasn't even for safety.. it was just so they could do it.. b/c they felt like it.. a lot of people left the company (crap hole to work for anyway)

but i do see where your coming from and your point of view.. just coming from a guy that feels that his rights are being nut jammed everyday, to be told he can and cant smoke in certain places..

just seems petty to me

BTW: im not a smoker LOL.. just believe in own rights

16. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I don't think it's wrong. You can make any rule you think is appropriate for your company. I just think you might make some employees angry and have a hard time enforcing it.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree......... but if its REALLY that big of a deal with a certain customer, then by all means your employees/subs should abide by the rules on "those" particular accounts.

18. Deco

Deco Senior Member

i don't allow any crack , heroin or weed smoking on the job either.wont stand for it . fired on the spot.cigars and cigarettes are fine .

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  19. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

You're missing the point.
    check IRS.gov for rules on defining an employee vs. a contractor.

If you want to pay the man like an employee (withholding, SS, medicare, etc), then they follow all the rules.

If you want to pay them like a sub, then you have to treat it as accomplishing a job. How they accomplish that job is their business. If it's your business defining how the job is done, then they aren't really a contractor are they?

The penalties are severe. You want to do it right.

ETA Ok I just realized that Strongarm is in Canada, the rules may be different there. but the OP is in Michigan, IRS rules apply.

20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

No smoking......period