1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smoking in trucks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by firstclasslawn, Dec 8, 2005.

Do you let employees smoke in your trucks!

Poll closed Dec 23, 2005.
  1. YES

47 vote(s)
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do you let your employees smoke in your trucks?
  2. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

No, they have to be on fire to be in the trucks (badadda boom)

3. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I have two employees who take an allowance instead of a company truck so they can smoke in their trucks. I pay them 75% of what a lease on a 2wd Chevy 2500 w/ auto and A/C would cost, plus $100/month for gas and $100/month for insurance. Idiots, but they are saving me $ and reducing my headaches.
  4. mickman

mickman Senior Member

I do, only because I smoke. But the first of the year, I'm quitting.
    So you know what that means......NO SMOKING!:jester:
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I don't smoke, have employees, or drive, but my answer would be NO NO NO SMOKING!
  6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

my work doesnt allow it. the smell and ash gets everywhere in a truck and will never come out. and of course resale value can drop when your truck smells like a dirty diaper.
  7. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

If i was running a fleet of older trucks then sure they could smoke, but not if im running a fleet of 98-05 trucks
  8. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I worked for a sizeable farm and the owner hated smoking. One day his insurance company told the guy he would save $1200 a year if he banned smoking on the entire premises. So he did it.

Now all the smokers have to get in their car, drive 1/4-1/2 km to the driveway and smoke.
  9. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

When I have employees no one is allowed to smoke in a vehicle or on a customers property. Well, thats how its supposed to be although I always seemed to find butts on properties later. I would bet that when I wasn't with them they also lit up in the truck as well. I try not to hire smokers anymore because of the experiences. I really hate the smell and litter produced.
  10. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Who the hell cares as long as they are working????

I let my guys smoke for the reason that they work hard and push their limits both physically and mentally every night for me.

If I didn't have them, I wouldn't be doing as good as I am today.

So unless it distracts them from their work, I let them smoke. Although, I do not allow it in front of a customer or outside of the truck on a customers property (i.e. shoveling, snowblowing, salting walks, etc)..
  11. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Hell no...
  12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I couldn't agree more! Someone who "needs" a cigarette can become lazy or not as efficient if you don't let them have it! I allow smoking in all the older trucks and NEVER on a job site regardless of the circumstances! They know if I find one on the ground it's over and done with so it always ends up in the ash tray!
  13. Gusco

Gusco Senior Member

I smoke, They smoke, We all Smoke.

I dont mind. I lay canvass on my seats and put seat covers on them i have never had a burn go thru. I figure if they are going to smoke they might as well do it in the truck not at a "Rest stop" if ya know what i mean. Takes about 5-7 minutes for a smoke. add that up thru out a 12 hour day and you paid them quite a bit to screw off.
  14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

I have no employees. But if I did and they smoked I wouldn't stop them from smoking in truck. If I was an employee and was told you do nice work (which I do) but no smoking in my truck, I would say bite me And do it anyway or stop every 5 minutes for a butt break. Gees Dave your taking a hell of alot longer to do job what gives. Hey need to stop to have cigarette.
  15. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

:gunsfiring: nonsmoking,preaching treehuggers.Welcome to the real world.Whats next no eating or drinking in the truck? I have seen pop do more damage than the occasional cigarette and spilled coffee is a mess also.I drive brand new trucks at work and if I want to smoke than I do .It has nothing to do with my job performance .Do you really have extra time in your day to check for butts on the ground? Whats next ,no farting in the truck? WTF!
  16. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

ROFLMAO :drinkup:
  17. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Not that I'm in a position to state my opinion as I'm young and have no employees, no buisness ect, but if I did I wouldn't allow smoking while on the job. I believe, like where i work, the smokers believe there entitled to their smoke brakes every 15 minutes, but if someone just walked up for 5 minutes and came back every 15 minutes would you put up with it? I hate the smell, I cough when I get a wiff of the smoke, it's gross, nasty expensive and I believe, from my experiences especially at work, that the smokers just use "Having" to smoke as an excuse to sit and do nothing, while us non smokers quickly take a sip of soda and get back to work. not a 5 minute brake every 15 minutes.
  18. JTW

JTW Senior Member

I could be in trouble then!!! lol
  19. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

It's not the burns, mess, etc... it's the smell that is extremely hard to get out.

A fart will be gone in 10 minutes, ciggerette smoke will lessen the value of a used vehicle just as much as the plow on the front of it.
  20. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

Anyone who works for me represents me: Policy is no smoking while on company property or on the job.

Argument may be that sub-contractors can do what they want, but same policy.. they represent my company.

I retired from a major ($12 Billion) service company with over 100,000 employees. That's where I learned the value of this policy. Our CEO - a smoker - initiated it for all employees. The company reason was mainly a health cost issue, but external survey's showed that it help build a positive view of the company - even with smoking clients.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.