1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smoking F250 1985 diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Judye, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Judye

Judye Junior Member

I've got to get out of Vegas and back to Northern California before I dry up in this desert!
    I need help. Can someone tell me what else I should look for in my old faithful truck that has been smoking (BLACK) for the past couple months...
    I need to haul two horses and don't want another breakdown in the desert. Coming here it fell apart in Barstow and needed an oil cooler. It's been smoking since... are the two related in any way???
    I have changed the air filter, the fuel filter and run the injector cleaners...
    There is also a little oil in the bottom of the air cleaner 'pan' or whatever it is called. What next, a compression check???
    Thank you very much in advance for your reply. Judye

2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

maybe you could call the boys from Broke Back Mountain and they could ride the horses back to cali. "i can't quit you"

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

There are diesel forums on the INTERNET for Ford Diesels.
    Try to research the problem before throwing major parts at it.
    It can get expensive and it just upsets you to not fix the problem yet.
    How many miles on the engine? A friend of mine bought an old non turbo 6.8 Diesel Ambulance and it went 320,000 miles. It smoked and started everyday till the dump truck ran the red light and killed it.