1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smoking exhaust, bluish in color??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Hawkz, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

My truck is a 94 Gmc Sierra, 4wheel drive, 2 door and it has about 140,000 miles on it.

It is starting to smoke through the exhaust w/ bluish smoke. It does it at idle, but not all the time, and does it sometimes when you stomp on the gas if it sits at idle. My thinking is that it is the valves, oil is getting in but where? Should I take it to a repair shop soon, or can it be driven far a little while longer. It has not had any major problems, until this!! What are the costs for labor and possible diagnosis?? Thanks and will appreciate any responses. Bring on the snow, Hawkz

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Chevy Small Blocks are notorious for leaking valve guides, not really a bad thing, they'll run forever, but they'll leak a little oil into the combustion chamber upon start up. It would require basically a removal/reinstallation of the valves to get the guides replaced.

3. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

With that kind of mileage you've got bad valve seals. They get old and crack and fall off, letting oil run into the combustion chamber. Pretty easy fix, takes a couple hours of shop time. I'm not saying the guides aren't worn but it's the seals that control the bulk of the oil flow.

4. Hawkz

Hawkz Member

I see that you run a 91 Chevy, and a Western plow- how have they been holding up?

Or how long have you had them?

My truck seems still to be very strong. In the summer I pull a fishing boat and the truck works great year round, also use it to haul construction material. They are good trucks for all kinds of things, when I got it, I was a little skeptic to get the Pro- plow for it. But it handles it very well. Bring on the snow, Hawkz

5. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

valve guide seals

Like Alan said, not too big a deal to change...

Those are good trucks, my father in law just turned in a 94 company truck with just shy of 300,000 miles, never any engine trouble, he had it serviced regularly and the only big ticket item was the tranny rebuild at around 220,000.

I would try to get those seals looked at, and in the meantime, keep that oil level checked.

Hope you get many more miles:waving:

6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

hawkz

The truck and plow have been great, especially the plow, haven't had a chance to use it, let alone break anything.....

At first i thought the 7.5' proplow was too heavy, i cranked the tbars and it held it better, I still wasnt happy, so i made some 'timbren-like boosters' and it only drops about 1/2" has lots of power and runs strong. rebuilt tranny at 99k, led a long hard life i guess. After noticing a littel bluish smoke a few k miles ago a dealer tech said to try valvoline maxlife. What id did i dont know, but it hadnt let any more smoke out since it had a chance to work around in there. I love it, had the chance to upgrade to a 98 k2500 w/ 99k and declined. Its got plenty of life left, I love it, and treat it like its new.