1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smoking cable

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fireman_31098, Sep 23, 2002.

1. fireman_31098

fireman_31098 Junior Member

well im back again with another question.
    the other day i went to start the truck and the battery was pretty much dead. well as the engine was turning over i saw a little smoke coming from under the hood. well come to find out the smoke was coming off the throttle cable. now why in the hell would the throttle cable be heating up so much to start smoking like that? ive seen ground wires smoke before but never a throttle cable. any body have a clue? id appriciate any info.
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Must be grounding out on something?? Or the smoke wasnt coming directly from the cable and something around it?
  3. fireman_31098

what could it be grounded on, the only thing i can think would be the wire for the choke. but i pulled that wire and it still heated up and started smoking. it definatly is the throttle cable, it got hot enough to start melting the black insulation covering it, its just freaky man.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'll bet you have a poor connection on your engine's main ground and it's seeking ground through the throttle cable. Pull the ground cable at both ends and clean it up, see if this helps.
  5. fireman_31098

ill try that out, thanks for the tip.
  6. fireman_31098

pelican, you seemed to right on, i cleaned up the ground from the battery, ended up putting in a new one, and whammo, she fired right up, no problem at all, thanks for yer advise:drinkup:
  7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Glad to hear it worked out. I forgot to mention before, for safety's sake, replace that throttle cable, even if it still works. The smoke you saw was probably the nylon liner burning, and this is what lubricates the cable. If it has been damaged, there's a good chance your throttle will stick someday, and if your luck runs like mine, it'll be at an inopportune moment. Better safe than sorry.
  8. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

You might also consider adding some ground straps to the engine and from the body to the frame. Electricity takes the path of the least resistance, which you learned was your throttle cable. Adding ground straps will help in the future.

I had a ground cable with an additional 10 gauge wire on it that I grounded to the body of a Jeep I had. One day I opened the hood, and saw all the insulation burned off the 10 gauge wire. I knew right then and there that the other ground connection was bad, and the load burned the 10 gauge wire. I replaced the battery cable, and cleaned the ground, and all was well.

Another thing to remember is that aluminum is a bad conductor to begin with, and oxidation will cause bad grounds rather quickly. Today's engines have A LOT of aluminum parts. We need to monitor ground connections constantly.