1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smokin solenoids!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mxr576, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

05 Chevy duramax with an x-blade. All the wires are brand new. Fisher solenoid that came with the plow burnt out last night after about10 hours of use. I replaced it and it happend 2 more times. About 2-3 hours on each. The 4th has been in it for about 5hrs now and no problems yet. The terminal that I run the power too has melted on 2 of them and the first one just spun out with really no effort when i put a wrench on it. Obviously its heating up for some reason and i dont know why. Could the alternator be going out and surging it with to many amps? I know GM has **** alternators. Any help would be great! Thanks!

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Check all of your connections and make sure the underhood plow ground goes directly to the battery.

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

A bad plow motor drawing too many amps will melt solenoids.

4. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

thanks for the help

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

One use a heavier gauge wire from the Alt to the battery. Second use a trombetta bear solenoid for the plow (they are indestructable). Some minor mods will nee to happen to make it fit.