1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smokin solenoids!!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mxr576, Dec 20, 2008.

1. mxr576

mxr576 Junior Member
    from Boston

05 Chevy duramax with an x-blade. All the wires are brand new. Fisher solenoid that came with the plow burnt out last night after about10 hours of use. I replaced it and it happend 2 more times. About 2-3 hours on each. The 4th has been in it for about 5hrs now and no problems yet. The terminal that I run the power too has melted on 2 of them and the first one just spun out with really no effort when i put a wrench on it. Obviously its heating up for some reason and i dont know why. Could the alternator be going out and surging it with to many amps? I know GM has **** alternators. Any help would be great! Thanks! :confused::dizzy:
  2. Jayslawncare

Jayslawncare Junior Member

Im having the same problem on my 8' x-blade. went thru 2 soleniods the last storm same thing with one of the poles melting. if you come up with an answer to this let me know, Im going to take the plow in to get checked out tomorrow, all I can think of is that somewehere in the wiring there is a short somewhere. Thanks
  3. bluerider

bluerider Junior Member
    from vermont

Ive been having the same problem. I have a truck with a MMI that ive had since 2001 that has the same excact solenoid and never had a problem with it. I bought a newer truck this winter with a MMII on it and have gone thru 3 solenoids with it. Sure would like to get it figured out.
  4. Jayslawncare

Jayslawncare Junior Member

I fixed mine by changing to the newer style round solenoid from fisher. The soleniods I were having problems with with more of the oblong ones and the guy at fisher said for some reason it is a manufacturing issue with the solenoid which is why they came out with the new style. Hope this helps...
  5. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

I've had 2 solenoids burn out cause of bad ground connections. (xls plow)
  6. crossboneracing

crossboneracing Senior Member

Round solenoids yup thats the way to go, make sure they are fisher too and not the POS S.A.M aftermarket ones