1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smoke free business.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 4x4Farmer, Jul 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I have a question for you guys. We are a smoke free company and do not allow employees to smoke on our property or in any of our equipment. I know some of my past employees cant go more than a hour without having a smoke so they would stop and get out and have a smoke break. These breaks add up over a 24 hour period. Second, i cant stand the equipment smelling like smoke and I had one guy who swears up and down to me that he does not smoke in the skid steer, but I cant for the life of me get the smoke smell out of there. He says its just the smell on his clothing that makes it smell in there. I don't like the idea of seeing our equipment sitting in a clients parking lot and one of my guys having a smoke. I don't care if you choose to smoke, its your life, but when your working for me is it wrong to ask for no smoking at all? Just want your guys take on this....I'm sure a lot of you smoke so I will get some negative response on this as well.
  2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Your Company.....Your Rules......The largest road paving company in the State of Michigan Has a No Smoking Rule....The ad they run states ......Smokers Need not apply....
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If the guy is kicking ass plowing snow who cares,he's saving you money by not stopping for a smoke. And yes it stays on the clothes even if they don't smoke in the equipment.
  4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

good point! That's how I feel.
  5. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I see your point....still don't like the smell in the equipment.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Introduce him to the concept of a washing machine and coming to work in fresh clothing. It's just like beer, He may not be drinking but if a man's clothing smells of yesterday's after work beer it sure leaves that impression. I don't want my employees or service men standing around my driveway/parking lot smoking cigarettes anyway.

Giving him a SS with out a full cab and heater would be another way to go about it. I was told the smoke gets in the moisture in the heat/AC ductwork and other moisture pockets creating some type of fungi, mold or something. I understand Auto detailers and used car lots use Febrezze to get rid of it. Sorry I don't know anymore details. I just heard a guy ranting about it one day.
  7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

from what I see in workers smokers, people who constantly talk on their cell phones, text numerous times throughout the day are consuming your time which adds up to less productivity. My belief is your company your right to the rules.
  8. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

At worK i dont let any of my guys smoke IN or around our equipment! And if i catch them they know its a suspension! First offence 3 WORK Days.... <<This is because in the winter we dont work everyday!
    I do let them smoke while shoveling though. But i REALLLYYY Dont like it!

As someone else stated above my 3 guys who smoke are Kick ass plowers! These 3 plow with 2 feet its Crazy but they are really good so its not like i can get rid of them.
  9. kcplowman

kcplowman Member

I am a smoker, but I have been thinking about the same thing. I can atleast restrain my self from smoking when im on a site. I do in the truck but it is kinda my truck. I do get mad though when helpers smoke at the jobsite. But my big thing that pisses me off is when they text. Thats my thing that when I see that makes me blow up.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  10. Solaris

Solaris Junior Member

i agree on the no smoking in your machines and your trucks but at the same time, you said it yourself, its their choice to smoke or not, you'll just need to ensure to limit smoke breaks so it doesnt get carried away. I'd love it if none of my guys smoke, but they all do, its gross as hell, but for the most part they are good employees and i'd take a solid employee who smokes like a chimney 100 times over a unreliable or wishy washy one that might not light up on a regular basis.... just my opinion
  11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

This is very important. Several guys at work smoke, but they don't smell like smokers. I have customers that come in first thing in the morning reeking like the butt bucket. Hats, jackets, gloves, boots, everything absorbs that stench. And i think some of them are wearing the same jeans and shirts for several days.....

Whatever you decide to adopt for rules, you have to enforce them fairly and consistently. I was at a restaurant the other day and noticed a sign for workers that smoke. They are now required to clock out for a smoke break. If they don't clock out, they will be docked 30 minutes for each break they take.
  12. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. That gives me some options to think about.
  13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I do not smoke, and dont let anyone smoke in my personal truck. I agree that anyone who owns a company should be able to make what ever rules they want, that being said i would never tell a employee that he can not smoke weather shoveling, in equipment or if he works on my farm. Now if he makes a mess in the equipment with his smokes that is a whole new story. Sure it can make a big mess but so can people who eat or drink soda in your equipment. Hopping in a machine covered in trash or spill pop will piss me off much more than one that smells like smoke. I have seen smokers that make a HUGE mess. But there are others, my brother will smoke 2packs while plowing for 20hours, the day after the storm he cleans out the truck and you cant even tell he smokes in it.
    Sorry for the long post, I just dont like smokers being treated like they are junkies.
  14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have mixed feelings too. I look at it like this, While we're in lawn mowing/landscape mode there is no smoking while operating any mower's and no smoking while in the trucks. We only have one guy who smokes and he is very courteous about it. We had a guy a few years ago that smoked like a chimney and before long the truck he ran smelled something fierce and I said something about it and he offered to come in on his own time and clean it out and he did. It still smelled but not near as bad. We also had one idiot one year who I caught smoking in our enclosed trailer while filling up a string trimmer.....that went over well! I don't mind if they get out a few times a night and have a smoke, it probably keeps them awake and gives them a chance to stretch out a bit too so they don't wreck our trucks,lol. I'd rather sacrifice 5 minutes a night then have grumpy, tired guys behind the wheel.
  15. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Aside from plowing I run a commercial flooring business. There are no rules about smoking, however, if they are caught throwing the cig on the ground either by myself, or reported by others, its a $50 fine (deduction in pay)

IMO there is nothing more disheartening then piles and piles of cig butts blown into parking lot corners, flower beds, etc. because smokers use the world as their ashtray.

I wish the $300 littering fine in PA was enforced on cigarette disposal
  16. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I endorse this 100% Thumbs Up
  17. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

I see employers who have such rules as participating in a form of acceptable discrimination. Many who have worked for me smoked. Some were mindful and careful others no so much and butts and burns everywhere. I would rather have an employee who smoked than I would an employee who was constantly talking on their phones, checking their email, texting, surfing the web, listening to music so loud they couldn't here me, taking pictures/videos or posting to forums from their phones, while on my dime. A good worker may have bad habits but can still be a dependable, honest, hard worker making me money. Just my 2 cents.
  18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Be careful. Deducting pay is illegal in most cases in many states.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Fixed it for you bro.
  20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's funny I know very few people that smoke anymore and none of my guys smoke. It seemed 10 years ago everyone smoked including my dad and I. I can't believe how much cleaner everything stays now. That being said the bigger you get the problems you have finding good guys so I'd rather have a guy that smoked and was a good operator then the other way around.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.