1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smog stuff removal

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by peteyb, Feb 18, 2002.

1. peteyb

peteyb Junior Member

I've just acquired a '73 Chevy LWB with a 307 and the full compliment of smog junk. I live in an area of my state that does not require pollution or other inspection. The performance of this motor really stinks - poor hesitation, no acceleration, rough idle (yes, I've checked the timing and other "tune-up' stuff). Can I just remove the air pump, hoses and pipes from the manifolds? What changes in performance can I expect if I do that?
  2. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

You can take the belt off the air pump and leave the plumbing.
    It won't affect much anyways as it pumps the air into the exhaust manifolds.
    As far as other emmissions gear you can check your egr valve for how it is operating. You would probably want to leave it or fix it to help with pinging (will not hurt perfomance if it is working right)

The most likely cause (just quessing) of your problems are ignition and/or fuel system.
    Have you checked things like carb float level (they also can sink with age),Plugged jets, vacuum leaks, hoses, vacuum advance diaphragm, advance springs, for starters.
  3. 79scotts

79scotts Junior Member

It might not be a bad idea to replace the carb. I recently installed a Edelbrock squarbore 600cfm and it's wonderfull.
    If you're not ready to fool with all of that you might want to check the fuel filter. I agree with the earlier post that the pollution garb probably isn't causing your problem.