1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smith Vbox spreaders

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by xc23, Nov 10, 2008.

1. xc23

xc23 Member

Has any one ever heard of or used a smith stainless v box .I am looking to purchase a used one but no one in my area deals with them.The guy selling it says they are built in New Jersey Its a 1997 stainless 8' Vbox all electric W/ sides and a screen . The unit is in excellent condition with the chains replaced 2 years ago He is asking 2800$ for it .Is this average or over priced. Thanks

2. digit

digit Member

I believe smith spreaders are built in newark new york or at least thats where mine came from. You have to go through a distributor you can look on ther website for a list. www.smithspreaders.com

3. xc23

xc23 Member

My mistake your correct How has your experience been with yours . And do you think that is a good price for a 97

4. digit

digit Member

Price sounds ok but I'm not real familiar with that size mine was a 9' medium duty 4 yd electric and works good

5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i bought my first one last season and it worked great. i have the dual electric version..1/2 HP on conveyor and 1/8 HP on spinner. they were having issues w/ the variable controller last year so i only have the on /off switch which still worked fine. i just recieved the "new" variable speed controller, not sure if i'll use it. i'm in st. louis and the closest dealer was Kalida Truck in Ohio. even w/ the new controller Kalida recommend's using the simple on/off switch, i guess they are sure it's fully proven yet and that's why i may just leave mine alone. one thing that was throwing us off was getting the switch to work, it was night time when we hooked it up and i guess it wasn't apparent to us that the switch which shows 3 wires going to it NEEDS to have all 3 wires hooked up. from the diagram it looked like the power wire to the switch was just to illuminate it which really didn't matter to me but it turns out it needs it to power the solenoid