1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smith V-Box...Anybody use them?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Stan, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

I was wondering the durabilty of Smith gas powered -vs- the other brands. I am ready to pull the trigger and any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Nobody...anyone?

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i don't run gas but i do run the dual electric stainless smith spreaders...awesome unit IMO, they apparently got the speed controller sorted out...i just used it as a single speed the last year, worked great,
    will try out the new controller here in a month or so,
    good luck,
    steve

4. noble@esitrucks

noble@esitrucks Member
    from 20181

honestly you can only make a spreader a couple of ways. I havn't heard to much about Smith. I havn't personally dealt with them. The only news I've heard of them has been good, no bad news. I have only heard about there elec. spreaders, but honestly all of the spreader companies use the same motors Briggs & Stratton or Honda. So there wouldnt be much of a difference. Just make sure you get a good price and some good support, because spreaders all take a crap on you at the wrong time.

5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

"i don't run gas but i do run the dual electric stainless smith spreaders...awesome unit IMO, they apparently got the speed controller sorted out...i just used it as a single speed the last year, worked great,
    will try out the new controller here in a month or so,
    good luck,
    steve "

Thanks for the input. From what I gather you have the series IV with the fold up chute? From the pics in Smith's web site it looks like # II has the single motor -vs- IV has 2 motors. I won the auction on both spreaders and not too familiar on the cab controll unit. Is it a simple switch or more involved?

"honestly you can only make a spreader a couple of ways. I havn't heard to much about Smith. I havn't personally dealt with them. The only news I've heard of them has been good, no bad news. I have only heard about there elec. spreaders, but honestly all of the spreader companies use the same motors Briggs & Stratton or Honda. So there wouldnt be much of a difference. Just make sure you get a good price and some good support, because spreaders all take a crap on you at the wrong time"

From what I gather there was no negativity on Smith but sure there would be at least one. Just as anything else maintenance is the key and spare parts is a must. At first I thought the electric would be harsh on the trucks electrical. But then again there are no small engine issues to deal with.

6. xtreem3d

stan,
    yes mine are series IV spreaders with flip up chutes and dual electric motors, 1/2 HP on conveyor and i believe 1/8 HP on spinner. mine are stainless and all the hardware is stainless also, pretty neat. they originally came with a speed controller for both spinner and conveyor and a "blast" feature that would help unstck a jam...they had some issues with them and discontinued them until they found another mfgr. now they have the new controller with both spinner and conveyor controls. i got mine ( for free through smith, very nice people and nice to work with) in the middle of last winter but things were working fine with just one on/off switch that i didn't want to jinx myself. i was using this at a big mfg'ing plant that just turning on the spreader full bore worked fine..if it was too much i just closed the feed gate. i think the only pieces (i think) that aren't stainless are the top screen ,the conveyor chain, and the pillow blocks...it seems that the electric has steep sides to it. i didn't have the optional side but will have bigger side this year. one other thing...i never let salt sit in the salter for long periods of time ( especially during a sleet or snow storm) i don't know if the electric would break free a slight freeze like a chain driven( Hi-way, Henderson) (and sometimes belt driven) salter would have but didn't want to risk it ..my trucks and skid loaders were maxed out( took on too much work) and i couldn't risk it,
    steve

7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thanks X.... great feed back. The 2 spreaders I found out today are fixed chutes series II. The super will try to find the cab controllers but if not I take it that a simple hi amp toggle with an indicator light may work?
    Also the units came with Monroe pre-wet systems. Called a dealer and they want over $300 for a cab contoller. Hopefully the super may find them.
    Have you had any expirience using a pre-wet?

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Here's a pic of the two I'm picking up this week.

Would anyone know how much of a PIA it would be to remove the chutes? I am intending to lay them flat on the trailer for transport.

2468_2_2.jpg

2468_2_6.jpg

9. xtreem3d

stan,
    if they are like most spreaders it's probably about 4 bolts and undo'ing the chain driving the spinner ..then the chute comes off...i have no experience in pre wetting ( for me personally it seems like a pain and more to go wrong, plus in st. louis are temps aren't "arctic" very often and salt has worked fine for the most part) if we are still on your original question , your going gas? so you are saying you might have one switch to turn on the conveyor and spinner at the same time? if so..check with Smith about this , it may only apply to the electric versions , but on mine i have an 80 amp breaker wired in( came from factory with it) just in case of an overload which probably applies to dual electrics but you want to sure,
    steve

10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We run Smith series 2 I believe, one electric motor, simple rocker switch (12 gauge wire, you could probably use less, but thats what I had) is all they require, runs to a solinoid the powers larger wire. To transport, why not just flip them over ? Much simpler than messing with the spinner shaft coupler (which isn't stainless).

11. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Steve
    I will be definetly keeping them electric as yours with a spare motor on hand. A simple 20A toggle switch with an indicator light should work well per Smith. I will ask Smith for a complete wiring schematic because they did not mention a solenoid. A breaker into this circuit would be a great idea.

12. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Is the solenoid a Ford style that Meyers use?

I thought about that as well but a little leary on the sheet metal. Once its strapped down I'll be over the cross bronx & afraid they may fold with that lovely road. The units have the extensions and do not look as sturdy as the main v-box. I was looking for solid ground attaching the chains/straps to each corner of the unit where Smith had welded hooks. Leaving early by 4am to beat the traffic and get a jump on things. Let ya all know if they made it.

13. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I have two smith spreaders and would def buy another one, they are great and do have dealer support.

14. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Are yours electric or gas driven?