1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smith spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by supersource, Dec 21, 2010.

1. supersource

supersource Junior Member

i work for a highway dept and we're looking at the smith 3 yard dual control spreader.just wondering if anybody has any experience if it works good.

2. LON

LON Senior Member

I'd look at a Henderson if I were you but I'm biased to Henderson.

3. supersource

supersource Junior Member

the smith i was talking about is the one with twin electric motors.does henderson make one like that

4. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Several years ago I won a couple of "series 2" single electric spreaders at an auction from a municipal in New Jersey. Was reluctant at first but impressed on the performance and workmanship I became a dealer for them. Bought a series 4/ 2 speed as a demo and used it last week for the first time, it kicks butt! The flip up chute is standard on series 4 which is nice when you want to discharge unwanted material back into the bulk pile or be able to pull a trailer without removing the unit.
    Currently I'm running 6 trucks. The drivers are constantly arguing over the electric vs gas. No more stopping to check gas/oil or clutch burnout says it all. Jumping on the "going green" band wagon and will replace the gas units to electric.
    If you would like go to their website and click on dealers. I'm in miller place, feel free to call me for any questions you may have.

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I have a series 2(single electric motor). I love it.

6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

If you need another or spare parts etc, hit me up. How old is your unit?

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I think it was built in 06. I bought it used. The guy I bought it from had 2 series 4 and 1 series 2.

I wish I would have bought the series 4

8. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Just bought a series 4 as a demo which is surpasses the series 2. Trick on a series 2 is to switch the shaft sprocket that connects to the gear box onto the gear box visa versa to increase the conveyor speed. Will slightly draw more amps but not very noticeable.

9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Just bought a series 4 as a demo which is surpasses the series 2. Trick on a series 2 is to switch the shaft sprocket that connects to the gear box onto the gear box visa versa to increase the conveyor speed. Will slightly draw more amps but not very noticeable.

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i've been running the series 4 for about 3-4 years now..absolutely no problems at all, imo it's a good design....the dual controller is unusual to get wired but it has always worked great
    steve

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 of the series 2, they work well. For us their built about an hour away so support is great, dealer is in the middle, but has run to their facility for parts I know.