1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smith series II

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by EGLC, Sep 20, 2012.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

are they any good? Anyone run one? I have a fisher stainless with 9hp Honda....the upside of the smith is its all electric but I've been told there is no variable speed?? just a toggle switch??

Anyone that knows anything about these I'd love to hear!
  2. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have 2 of them. Yes they are on or off you will have no problems. I run mine with the gate around 2" open for sandmix and 1.5"for salt only. If you want less just close down the gate and flap down. You can buy a controler from grainger to slow down the speed but you will need to start on the highest setting than turn it down not worth the money in my eye's. The down fall of most units is the controler so a simple switch is good.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

what would you say a 1.5cu yd unit in "8:10" shape be worth in your opinion?
  4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 as well, work great, just be diligent about keeping chains lubes (as with any spreader) and you won't have issues. As far as value, used they can be bought in working order around here for under 2k
  5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I have one for sale and im going to list it for $1800
  6. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Are you planning to purchase new or used?

I have 2 series II and 1 series IV.

The series II operates on a single motor. The discharge rate is rather slow. To increase your conveyor speed swap the gears from the gear box to the spinner shaft. It also has a flip up chute option where you are able to discharge unused material into a pile rather than a mess. You can also utilize the flip up to tow a trailer.

The series IV is a different animal. It comes from the factory with the flip up chute. However there are 2 motors, 1 to drive the spinner, the other to drive the conveyor. There is a variable speed controller that is optional but pricey. I simply use the switch controlling the discharge via the chute.

Both models are available with a a gas motor. My drivers fight over the electric...who wants to gas up a spreader in the middle of a storm? Besides, no carburetor freeze ups, no clutches, less head aches... we have enough to worry about. As far as vehicle electric is concerned I have NOT had a problem. With my trucks I had installed dual batteries, increased the wire gauge from alternator and your good to go.

I was reluctant at first but Smith has a proven product and a local manufacture. I was extremely impressed I became a dealer.