1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smith/Harder sanders

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowblade, Jan 21, 2000.

1. snowblade

snowblade Junior Member

Lately I've seen a lot of trucks with Smith/Harder v-box sanders. They're electric powered and work ooff the trucks battery. I was talking to Dino, and he said he likes them. Anyone else use them here? Also, has anyone installed a control like the buyers one (used on the small tailgate sanders) on their sander?Lights?<p>Thanks in advance<p>Justin<p>

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't own an electric v-box, all of mine are gas or hydrolic power. Downeaster makes a great electric v-box. There is a nursing home near my house, they plow and sand their own lot and use an electric v-box. They love it nice a quite, to keep everyone in bed. If an electric v-box can spread sand/salt. It should do pure salt no problem, because salt is a lot lighter than sand/salt. Anyways they are built in maine, go to www.sandspreader.com. Installing an electric v-box is easy, all you have to do is run the battery cables and controll wires.<p>The have pictures of the controlls and the spreaders.<p>Geoff<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Yes I do own one and I love it. No gas engine to worry about, no $$$ central hydro to plumb in. Mine is all stainless, so no rust or paint to worry about.<br>Just flip a switch and go. Very well put together. <br>I dont use a vaiable speed controller, seems to work fine at one speed.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. snowblade

snowblade Junior Member

Dino, how much do they cost new, for like a 3yrd one?<br>Thanks<p>Justin

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

the unit goes for around 3750$ with tax. That will get you about a 1.7 yard unit. Now you can buy a 10&quot; extention for the top and that will give you about 3 yars capacity, but they want 400$ for that. So I added a 2x8 around the top of mine for 25$ and I have about 2.75 capacity.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org