1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SMI snowmaster blower truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rich414, Mar 4, 2010.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I am looking at purchasing a airport snow blower, its a SMI snowmaster. anyone have a source for parts???
    thanks for the help!!

IMG00010-20100303-0923.jpg

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Is SMI out of business or what? The manufacturer should be able to sell you parts or at least tell you where you can get them.

3. Neige

Neige Sponsor

4. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

6. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Thanks again
    Keep the links coming....
    Rich

7. MAGNUM SERVICES

MAGNUM SERVICES Member

How deep is your average snowfall and how big are your customers lots to justify purchasing something that big? Just curious as that looks awesome!

8. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

its a subdivision road that is 4 miles long and has an elevation change of 2000ft I have 198 hours plowing and blowing snow, in a bobcat, on this road to date for the 2009-2010 snow season. . Last year I had 30hrs on the road..The price for the blower is $15,000...the plan with the machins is to remove the snow once, and not massage it (plowing) This years snow fall is 10feet, on the ground today is 3'. Last year was about 8 feet, but there was sunshine between storms which melted the snow FAST We have a southern facing slope. The justification for the machine, is to just want to get it DONE Sort on my ID that are many discussion on the road and what to do!

9. leon

leon Senior Member

SMI snow blowers

For what its worth;

SMI is the parent of Sicard Snow Blowers and just north of me in my neighborhood.

email for sicard is sicard@sicardgroup.com

1-877-742-2732

1-315-788-2732

I personally would not buy it only because of too many unknowns.

some times you get a great machine but the issue is records for
    maintenance and repairs.

I have been there trying to save money with buying used and its
    always bitten me in the Gluteous Maximus.

Investing in a group three Pronovost two stage P-1040- TRC with a
    double auger would be a better way in MY opinion and the
    rotating drum for side casting discharge(is standard equipment)
    and renting a tractor of 100-150 horse power for the seson would
    be a lot more reassuring if it was me and be much less worrysome.

You can always add more goodies(bells and whistles) to the blower later
    if you want to.renting a tractor for the season from a local farmer would
    be very possible as any equipment dealer will know who has what iron in
    your area and whether the only crop farm or need equipment the year round.

I do not want to start a brush war with anybody but I have no reason to lie either.

I want you to suceed, I do not want you to fail.

leon

:yow!::waving:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  10. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

THANKS!!
    I spoke with Phil up there today, and he was a GREAT help. Looks like the most expensive part to replace is the fan....I am sending him the serial # of the unit so that he can give me more specifics on the unit!!

11. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Thats one way to go about it. The only thing I could add is that he is looking at a 15 grand price tag, the blower you are suggesting will cost at least that. Then he will still need to rent a tractor. If the machine is straight it a great buy. I too would like to see him succeed. :drinkup:

12. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

this attached photo is representative of all the fan blades. This scares me, the hour meter says 127hrs....this was probably the hrs when they unplugged the hour meter, o rthe owner liked to blow rocks!!!. a new fan is $3k. the only benefit is that the unit is located in my town and I can touch it, not like buying at an auction...

IMG_3555.jpg

13. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

here are some better photos and a photo of the teeth on the gear that turns the shoot

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  14. MAGNUM SERVICES

MAGNUM SERVICES Member

I understand your justification and it is an incredible looking machine! Does anybody have a video of one in use?

15. leon

leon Senior Member

smi blowers

there are many movies of them doing municipal snow removal on you tube, as well as thier self contained snow blowers mounted on front end loaders at work

16. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

The only video of a same machine was on ebay.

here is a video n youtube, I would say that the unit in the video is more powerful than the one that I am looking at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4d31XgzGYk&feature=related

I am going to demo the unit tomorrow and will post a video of the operation...

more to follow