1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smell of salt under hood

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mr.PLOWSI, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

I have a 04' 1500 and it stinks like salt under the hood, I just power washed under the hood but it still stinks. Is this normal? Should I just keep power washing it till it goes away or this is a smell thats gonna stick with me forever?

2. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Salt or sulfer? Is your battery leaking?
  3. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Its more like road salt. Its everywhere under the hood, I tried powerwashing it but its not going away. When its gets a little warmer i;m gonna degrease the engine and powerwash and see what happens,

4. Farmer J

Farmer J Junior Member
    from Ontario

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that salt didn't have a particular odour. When I'm standing in are coverall with 300+ ton of salt there isn't any smell from it.
  5. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

How about when it heats up to 300 degrees? I think its on my intake manifold. From driving in nyc then driving home on the NJ turnpike the salt gets into everything. When the truck is cold it dosen't smell, only when she gets real warmed up and it smells like salt, theres no leaks and the truck runs fine. The truck is only a year old,

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I think you may be smelling something else.

Salt doesn't have an odor. And I have a good sniffer.
  7. C.L.M. Inc.

C.L.M. Inc. Junior Member

I agree with TLS salt has no odor hot or cold. you got something else going on under there. In my experence as a mechanic for 16 yrs. you have a catalytic converter giving off a sulfur by-product you are actually not smelling salt but sulfur will leave a salt taste in your mouth and lead you to belive you are smelling salt. I would say with your truck being an 04 if you have less than 36K on it take it to the dealer for warranty and if not trust it to us professionals. Also if it is a converter you have federal emission warrant that is 8 yrs. or 80K miles. Good luck