1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smarty programmer

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cmo18, Dec 11, 2011.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

For xmas my girlfriend is buying me a smarty jr programmer and I have a few questions..

My truck is stock other than a exhaust system and a set of gauges.

Which settings are safe to run without tearing my tranny to crap? My truck is my daily work horse, and has to be ready to plow.

What are your guys opinions on settings for daily driving and plowing??

2. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I have a smarty (not the jr) i run it at 90 horse and have not had any problems the guy i talked to said i wouldnt want to go anymore until i do tranny work just to be on the safe side

3. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i had a junior on my truck. I only ran it in the summer for a little while. I truthfully would turm it off while plowing but thats just me. for settings i ran sw2 stock rail pressure, tm 2 wastegate off and timing 1 setting above stock. you kind of have to be careful as its not really fool proof. the more timing you ad you will see your egts go down but more heat is being burnt in the cyilnder so too much timing will burn pistons even though your egts will be maybe 1300. My truck stock will hit 1400 while towing but with a chip i would try too keep them around 1200 or less. You will see a big differnce in this combo vs stock just another 60 hp youll be sliding sideways at a 20 mph roll.:bluebounc

4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

You do not have your truck chipped currently?

Is there anywheres I can read about the setting?

Is it worth it to have a chip or is it just dangerous?

5. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Get the trans built then the programer..... Myself stick to the factory settings unless you want to spend lots of coin. The Cummins will make crazy power but it comes at a cost !!!

My factory computer truck will pull anything and never have to worry about temps.

6. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

Smartys are great! (after you pay off the Trans rebuild) You can limp around on a smarty but it will still cost you money! If you are like anyone else, you will be addicted to the added power and not know what you have done to the trans until its too late!!! I have the Smarty SR and love it!!! I also got a full billet tranny about 6 months after, to the tune of about 7k. Everyone knows about the weak Dodge trannys anyway(unless its a 6 speed), don't push it until you have the time and $$$ to upgrade or you will be sitting Broke Down!
    Just like the saying goes, You have to Pay to PLAY!!!

Good Luck! And stay away from HTS Transmissions in Howell MI!!! Thay are expensive and they DO NOT stand behind their products!!! ussmileyflag

7. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

8. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

Yep!!! Great site!!

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

As long as your careful you should be fine. I ran a smarty Jr stacked with a edge ez on my 5.9 megacab.
    I ran it on the tow setting when ever towing and the top setting when empty. I beat the Hell out of it
    For 50k miles and the trans was just starting to slip. I would don it in the tow setting all the time and
    Just drive it like a sane person.
    That being said there is always a chance that when you play you pay. As long as you don't want to
    Go much over a programmer you can get into a good trans for 3k.
    Good luck
    Robert

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd go to CompetitionDiesel . com before cumminsforum.

11. 87chevy

87chevy Senior Member

You could probably put a transgo jr in and be okay...

12. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I plan on keeping my truck until the wheels fall off so I know a tranny is in the future plans.

I'm in Canada and cannot find a quality performance tranny like suncoast builds. Any other brands? Or are you guys buying the parts and having a tranny shop build it?

I guess I can hold off on the smarty, what else can i ask for for xmas?

13. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

PM on the way.

14. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

thanks, so much selection i dont know what I want!

15. bh115577

bh115577 Senior Member

Figure out where you think you want to be when your done with the truck and talk to some of the vendors. They will help you plan it out so you get the right things first. Most of them aren't too pushy either.

16. Get a Dave goerend trans way better then suncoast, what year truck, the smarty can do some trans tuning. With a diesel you play you pay