1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by stanger86, Dec 24, 2009.

1. stanger86

stanger86 Member

Hello all. I have decided to buy a new 9'2'' VXT. My only question i whether or not I should get the smartlocks. I have talked to a few locals and read a few post on whether smartlocks are needed. Well I am in Nebraska and our average snow fall is about 2-4" per storm and sometimes up t 10" but rare. I will be doing a few driveways, so I will be backdragging. So the locals here seem to think I dont need them (except for the dealers), and that if the blades do start to fold, then just hit the button and fold the wings back? So I guess my question is, with the minimal snow we get here, do I really need the smartlocks?
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have a 7 1/2 V With smart locks works OK for backdraging (not having a backdrag edge)
    If you are backdraging and the plow folds forward, hitting the button will do NOTHING!! the pull to go into the "V" position is provided by the springs. The springs are what hold the plow from going into the scoop. so if the plow goes into scoop by backdraging pushing the button wont do NOTHING. you will need to take the load off the back of the plow then push the button. of course as soon as you put the load on the back of the plow again it will go back to scoop.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the snow load pulls the wings forward pressing the wing retract button will do nothing as the wings are spring returned. The whole reason for the Smart Locks in the first place.

You can BD without them, but they work far better with them. And if you're not aware they're less expensive if purchased with the plow. If you wait and them decide you want them you'll spend more money in the long run. Makes the plow worth more at re-sell time too.

They should be standard, not an option regardless. :rolleyes:
  4. pyro29

pyro29 Member

Definitely get them if it's not too late. I know sometimes it's hard to take the dealer's word when THEY are trying to get you to part with YOUR money but, especially when the dealer themselves use the same plow(s), and they tell you they are worth the $$$, trust them...
  5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Well, if your on the fence about em....dont buy after the fact. Most places the smartlocks are a 200.00 upgrade when buying a plow...after the fact they are close to 300 EACH.
  6. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Buy them with the plow, you will be glad you did. It should be standard.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy them..............
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No comment !
  9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Invest the money on them, believe me you will be sorry you didnt.
  10. tom_khollman

tom_khollman Junior Member

I just got my new 9.2 v-xt 2 weeks ago and i ordered it with the smartlocks and I am so glad I did, I really didnt think I needed them either but they work awesome. You will be very impressed with the v-xt or atleast I was anyway this plow is a beast! I will have to post some pics up tommorow. Tom
  11. Deco

Deco Senior Member

the 92 is a beast , no doubt . i'd like a set of lox myself . also would like a set of wings . a new ferrari , kenworth w-900 , etc, etc,.:laughing:
  12. contractor078

contractor078 Senior Member

how exactly is it that the smart locks work? i just ordered a 8-2 V XT with the locks after reading so much about them how is it that they lock the blade?