1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smartlock Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by old skool, Jan 26, 2014.

1. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have a 5 year old Boss 8.2 V that I love. While plowing the other day, the passenger side wing started floating forward while backdragging. I assume something in the Smartlock cylinder is "Blown"?

I see a rebuild kit HYD09734 is available. Is this the kit for my Smartlock cylinder? Do you think this is the problem? Are they hard to rebuild?

2. PlowingHD

PlowingHD Junior Member

Well from what I've been told is that you can only replace the seals like on the gland nut area, and no other "guts" are available. Our Boss plow distributor/also dealer GTR Equipment here in Traverse City also owns a hydraulic repair shop and the guy that runs it has told multiple people that they are not rebuildable when they mess up.
  3. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Thanks for the response. I did check with a Boss dealer today and he said there is a valve inside that locks the cylinder in place when backdragging. Also said he has not replaced many for this problem, so it sounds like I will need to replace the whole unit.