1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smartlock Cylinders

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mojob, Nov 1, 2006.

1. mojob

mojob Member

Has anybody priced these lately? Wow $325 each! It got me thinking, maybe I can bolt some kind of bar between the blades to lock them in the straight position. Have any of you heard of anybody doing this and do you think it would work?

2. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare Junior Member

i don't know why the smart locks are an option. they should be standard on a v plow.

3. Offroadz71

Offroadz71 Member

The smart locks run about 220, maybe that price that you got is installed, but that is pretty high, I think you need to shop around with some other Boss dealers. Or maybe install them yourself. The Smart lock system uses Hydaulics to hold the blade in postion, when in the V or Scoop position they release accordingly to allow the specified use. I don't think that welding bar to hold the blade in positon is going to work for ya.

4. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

You must have called the same place that told me $6300 for the 8.2 poly V.

5. mojob

mojob Member

I thought that was too high. Even at $440 for the pair is high. I'm still not convinced that a bar couldn't be made to lock the blades in the straight position just to backdrag a driveway and then removed to use the V feature. Any more thoughts on this idea?

6. jryden145

jryden145 Member

Well it sounds like a bar would be way to much work, getting in and out of the truck. Anyways we have smart locks and its well worth the money.

J

7. WRIGHTTRAILERS

WRIGHTTRAILERS Member

I'm willing to bet that sounds like a good idea in your heated office while typing on the computer at 7pm, but I'm thinking it'll get really old really quickly at 2am at -10 degrees after plowing for 22 hours.

And I see visions of the bars being left on just to push one little mound forward, breaking off, and plunging like missiles through the moldboard (or launching shrapnel like a grenade.) But to each his own.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

We use to just what mojob is talking about but on heavy equipment. Some times it was a sleeve we dropped over the ram and on some it replaced the ram. We did this for specialized applications on slope grooming equipment at ski hill I worked at.

Nothing ever exploded into shrapnel...

It just seams like a lot of work & time to do at every time you want to back drag.
    I like staying in the cab, I'll take another pass or two, and I still might be faster than manually locking the ram in place.

Now if Boss would ditch the smart lock and go with double acting rams then we would have something.

9. WRIGHTTRAILERS

WRIGHTTRAILERS Member

Well, according to BOSS the single acting cylinders helps reduce the number of valves, coils, hoses, etc. and therefore helps eliminate adding more parts which may eventually fail. That was the problems we had with the original Blizzard 810s and their space-shuttle rivaling number of parts. Considering the very few issues we have with the boss Vs, they must be doing something right.
    All that said, I don't claim to be an engineer, but I'm sure there has to be a way to do that same job without adding $500 to the cost of the plow. Its simply an obscene premium to ask people to pay just to be able to back blade better. Then again, BOSS has no problems offering an $800 light upgrade package, so I don't expect to see anything change soon.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I'm sure it does lower the # of parts witch makes it cheaper to produce.
    Valves and coils are very reliable parts and easy to replace.

Right and the spring that pulls the wing back never fails?
    It is the spring that is the weakest link, I replace at least one a year.
    I have yet have to replace a valve or coil in 9yrs

The other parts do not fail that often so I do not think that is it.

I would pay for double acting rams before I would pay for the smart locks.

11. WRIGHTTRAILERS

WRIGHTTRAILERS Member

I'm sure it does lower the # of parts witch makes it cheaper to produce.
    Valves and coils are very reliable parts and easy to replace.

Cynical, but true

Right and the spring that pulls the wing back never fails?
    It is the spring that is the weakest link, I replace at least one a year.
    I have yet have to replace a valve or coil in 9yrs
    The other parts do not fail that often so I do not think that is it.

I wasn't defending their design, I was merely repeating their rationale as their tech department explained it to me. I agree with you. We have "replacement" valves still in old poly bags on our shelves which have been here longer than me.

Adam Caron
    Parts Manager
    Wright Trailers
    Seekonk, Ma

12. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

LOL, cynical no:nono:

Critical, Realist, maybe?.....:waving:

13. mojob

mojob Member

How do the smartlock cylinders work? What keeps them from extending when back dragging?