1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smartlock cylinder question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rocknrollrednec, Dec 20, 2007.

1. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

:help:

What's the difference between V plows with the smartlock, and those without?
    is it just the cylinders?
    we got a new plow without it, and I'm wanting to convert it.
    thanks in advance!

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It's just the cylinders./rams :waving:

3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Smartlocks are made for backdragging. If you dont have them the plow will fold up to the scoop position when backdragging.

4. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

thanks for the replies guys!:drinkup:
    we just got a new boss for an '08 Chevy 2500, and whoever did the bidding and specs didn't price it with the smartlock, even though each and every Boss we have has 'em.
    nobody really thought about it until the guy was trying to backdrag.
    I have spare smartlock cylinders for the rest of our fleet, and I was just gonna switch 'em out. that's when I discovered that the cylinder mounting points on the new Boss are only about 1 3/4" wide, whereas the older ones are about 2.5". :realmad:

so I'll be buying some new cylinders after all. that was awful nice of them to make just enough of a change that I hafta carry even more parts in stock. :rolleyes:

Have a Merry Christmas!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Looks like you already found out Boss changed the cylinder mount spacing on the '06-up built plows....

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

What i want to know, is if the NON smartlock hydraulics are an actual hydraulic cylinder... why do they fold up when backdraggin?

Its like if you lifted up a load of dirt with a tractor loader, and because the weight of the dirt was heavy in the bucket, it extended the hydraulic cylinders because you wernt supplying it with mower to push the cylinder out.

Why do you have to buy "special" smart lock cylinders to hold their position no matter if theyre being pushed or pulled on, when every hydraulic ive ever known does this already?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because they are a SINGLE ACTING cylinder.. which means that they only have fluid and hydro pressure on one side of the piston.. If you do a little research on line, I think it will help you better understand how a single verses double acting cylinder works..

It's just like the lift cylinder on a chain lift style plow..(like a Meyer for example) it will hold the entire weight of the plow without compressing as it has fluid trapped on the bottom side of the piston so it can't be compressed... but if you unhook the chain, you can pull up on the lift arm and extend the ram by hand. The wing cylinders on a Boss are the same way....

You shouldn't have to buy the Smart Locks as an option.. they should have been standard equipment on a Boss for a long time... but I guess since they get $300-$500 additional for a pair, I guess it's just an additional profit thing.

The Smart lock's are only needed when back dragging...that's the only time they actually "lock" the ram so the snow load wont pull the cylinder out.. (again because they're a single acting cylinder)...When plowing in the forward direction, the hydro fluid on the rear side of the piston holds the wing and cylinder from being retracted by the snow load, just like any other hydraulic cylinder..