1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smartlock Cylinder Issue??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by MJLsLawnCareNmo, Dec 7, 2008.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmo

MJLsLawnCareNmo Senior Member

After my 2nd day of plowing I've noticed a slight issue with my plow. 8'2" Boss V RT3. When backdragging the passenger side wing tends to keep trying to fold out. It's not too bad but it keeps moving back and forth like it's struggling to keep the wing from retracting. Fluid levels are OK. The Driver's side wing is ok and working OK. Any ideas?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely a SL issue.

They do have a relief setting internally but under "normal" back dragging conditions it is designed be more than capable of holding the wing in a fixed position. If it doesn't then it has issues.

3. MJLsLawnCareNmo

So there's no adjustment I can make? What's the next step I should take. Rebuild? Buy a New one?

Also does it hurt anything to run it like this?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, no adjustments for the cylinders in your situation. You can purchase a rebuild kit for them but generally (on the SL especially) most guys simply replace it.

As long as the fluid remains clear, with no blackening that indicates the seals are disintegrating in the SL its fine to run it as is.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Are they hard to rebuild (i.e. could someone do it without any experience and basic tools)?
    Are the replacement parts costly and that's why most just buy new? Would a plow dealer rebuild one?

Sorry about all the questions, I just want to get this fixed and be as economic as possible as this plow isnt that old. Just getting my truck set up and everything else set up for my first year plowing it has been an expensive investment.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you have to ask then I wouldn't recommended it. :D

7. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Fantastic :p Not what I wanted to hear. I'm going to try the loosing the return spring tension and see if that helps.

8. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Turns out the return spring was as loose as I'd want it to be (can slightly move the spring in the holes when in the V position). The reason I thought it might be to tight was because of the speed and the violet way they would retract when they come to a stop. Is there anything I can do about that? An adjustment other than the spring? That and I remember seeing more threads outside the nut on one of the sides and just assumed it must be tighter. Upon closer inspection it's just a longer eye bolt.

I got a price from two dealers about rebuilding a smartlock cylinder already off the plow. It's about $48 for the seal kit and they have to charge me an hours labor minimum ($78/hr). So roughly $135.

9. themechanic43

themechanic43 Junior Member

That would be assuming the relief valve is ok, otherwise it will cost about as much to rebuild as replace. when replaced, you get new parts warranyty with it. Boss has an orifice you can install behind the retract valves to slow the wing return, and they are reasonable. How old is this plow? I think smartlock have 2 years warranty if you talk to the right person.

10. MJLsLawnCareNmo

Hmmm. In your opinion do you think my problem will go away with the seal kit rebuild or do you think the relief valve is the cause in the first place?

The plow is a few years old, 04 or 05. I bought it used but it doesnt have much use on it yet.

Could you tell me a little more about this orifice? How is it installed? Part #'s? Hard to do?

Thanks for the reply

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, just throwing a seal kit in it won't fix your valve issue. Which is why I didn't recommend the rebuild in the first place. :salute:

If the wings are still too fast for your liking after loosening the wing spring tension, then head over to your Boss dealer for the wing orifice's to further slow the wings down. P/n HYD07108..you'll need two, one for each wing. If your handy with a lathe their easy to make as well. ;)

Takes about 15 minutes to install them...pull the fittings out, drop the orifice's in, replace the fittings, cycle the wings, top off the fluid level.