1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smartlock bad?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CSLC, Feb 16, 2012.

1. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

I noticed when I was out the last push when back dragging, my passenger side wing would move forward. We were only pushing 2-3", does this mean my smartlock is going bad or do I have another issue? Plow was just installed this year

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They do have a built in 3500 PSI pressure relief for protection but with that little snow it wasn't likely releasing due to the load. So more than likely there's a problem with the cylinder.

3. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

Is there a way to test it to see if it is bad?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's no real way to get an actual measurement so the the homebrew method can be employed...

Disconnect the wing hose and with two guys pull on the wing to see if it will go forward. If it does, then the SL definitely isn't doing it's job.

5. CSLC

CSLC Senior Member

ok will look at this weekend thanks

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

You mean WING SPRING, dont take the hose off the smartlock cylinder itself lol.

I guess you could also try setting your return springs tighter? i dont know how they're set right now, do they move back towards the truck "fast" or very slow?
    Is it a 9'2 or 8'2", a 9'2 would have the issue sooner id guess just from the width.

I cant remember any of ours EVER moving forward though, but we have most of the spring set tighter.

Can you adjust the smartlock like the standard cylinders? i know ive heard on here that you can spin the one ring close to the ram if its leaking, dont know if thats the case here or not, maybe its allowing air in there instead of a leak?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

And by tightening the return spring just make it go back into vee faster. B&B knows his stuff. I am confused tho on taking the hydro hose off though, all the fluid is going to leak out, unless that doesn't matter. I mean technically the hydros don't have anything to do with holding the wings from going forward. This is a good one to learn from.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Disconnecting the hose allows air in as you attempt to pull the wing forward extending the ram. Without the hose disconnected you create a vacuum in the wing hydros since the valves are normally closed, therefore making it more difficult to pull the wing out (by hand). So it makes any tests null and void.