1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SmartHitch2 problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by wrench122, Feb 18, 2011.

1. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

Hello,

I have a power vee rt3 with smarthitch2. My problem is that 8 out of ten time when going to raise the tower I will push up on the switch and the the pump will try and lower the tower rather than raise it. I have put a new switch kit on and still have the porblem. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. 09Busa

09Busa Senior Member
    from NY

Be patient.......there are a few guys on here that know the Boss plows inside and out......they'll be of great help to you........they'll be around most likely a little later. Good luck

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a new plow? Do you have the pin locks set close when raising it.

4. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

The plow is 4-5 years old. What function would the pins play?

5. grandview

When you go to raise the plow the plow pins are help with a spring.So when you raise it up the springs are pushed down so the pins can slide through and hold the tower up. If not as so as the tower gets to the top and doesn't lock it will keep falling down

6. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

ok I am with what you are saying. The problem I am haveing is with the power up and down of the tower. when pushing the switch up the tower does not go up all the time some times it trys to lower the tower rather than raise it.

7. grandview

It almost sounds like you not close enough to the hooks on the carriage and when you go to raise it the tower is getting stuck and is forcing it self down

8. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

I am not getting stuck on any thing I can try and take the tower up and down with the plow out in front of the truck not tuching anytihng. The probelem had to be electrical or hydrolic. When i push the up switch it takes power trys to lower the tower when I lower the tower it lowers the tower. But 2 out of 10 times the tower will go up as I am trying to get it to do.

9. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I have a couple of quick questions for you. 1st, if you want to attach the plow, did you try to push the smart hitch toggle down first and then try to raise it? And vice versa when you lower it? This works for me. 2nd, have you recently serviced anything in the hydraulic chamber? If so, what did you service?

10. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

I have not pushed the toggle switch down then up to get it to raise. A note on that I have never had a problem with the lowering portion of the smart hitch. I have only replaced the smart hitch switch for this problem. no other serviceing.

11. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

Try to move the toggle down for a second and then go up. The reason I asked about servicing is, I cleaned my coils that attach over the valve on the manifold. When I re-installed the coils, I over tightened the nut which caused the valve to collapse inside of itself. When I did this, the plow would push down when i wanted to raise it when mounting it. I thought it was the switch so I changed it and it still did the same thing. After talks with the Dr. of plows (B&B), we ran thru a series of test and I found somewhere that over tighening the coil nut ruins the valve. You may have a bad or clogged valve.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

I will have to try and see if I can see what way the coil/valve moves when I am trying to raise its just odd that it works just like it should some times but not others. I sould try and swap the coils and see if it changes at all. I got to figure this out. I love the plow but having to lift the tower into place every time I need to use it gets old very quick.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

How long are you holding the switch up before deeming it won't raise?

14. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

15 to 25 seconds and the entire time its trying to pull the plown down. and then sometimes I will pull up on the switch and it will come right up no problem.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you already changed the switch- the next time it won't lift the tower check the Smart Hitch coil for magnetism while holding the switch up. If it doesn't have mag double check, clean, and slightly crimp all the wire terminals on both the switch and the Smart Hitch coil and re-test. If there's still no mag use a test light and actually check that you have both power and ground at the coil terminals.

If you find you do have mag, remove the coil and valve and stroke the internal spool in the valve with a small screwdriver and clean it with a little brake cleaner to free it uo. Then test again.

The SH valve/coil is only used during attach so they seldom wear out but like any hydraulic valve can catch a small piece of debris or a winding in the coil fail from the constant vibrations

16. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

I will try tomorrow and see what I find. Its just .would the coil have mag in the up and down position?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As I mentioned the SH valve and coil is only used to raise the tower, it isn't used for any other function. Therefore it's clear the issue is with it or in it's controlling.

And that's what happens when the SH valve doesn't function, thus again it's clear where the issue lies.

18. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

The Doctor is in the house:mechanic:

19. wrench122

wrench122 Junior Member
    from MI

Well after a little time today working on the plow was able to find that the coil was not working all the time. Installed a new coil all fixed. Thanks to everyone that had input.