1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smarthitch tower won't lift.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by adegiulio, Feb 7, 2010.

1. adegiulio

adegiulio Junior Member

I searched for a solution to this, but didn't find someone else with exactly the same problem. Anyway, the plow was attached to the truck for a few days. When I went to take it off, I lifted the smarthitch switch like I normally do. It lifted slightly, then the pump stopped. I jiggled the switch a little. When I push the switch down, the pump engages. When I push the switch up, I get nothing at all. No movement, no noise.

Any thoughts what it might be?

Thanks in advance
  2. Dewey

Dewey Senior Member

Replace Switch ??? You also can remove plow by fliping pin leavers and then pushig back on the plow tower untill pins disengage...
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Mine has been like that all this season.Try jiggling your tower manually and then try your switch.I know I have a few wires on the plow side by the plug that are chafed through,including my ground wire. Sometimes when I engage my switch,I can see an electric arc at my mounting pins.I have to get around to installing my new harness repair kit.It's either your switch or a bad connection.I'm sure B +B will come shortly to help with the diagnosis.
  4. tuney443

Here you go---found this for you.

2000 Club Member Join Date: Nov 2006

Pop pump the cover off and place a test light in the back of the connector on the white/black wire at the switch and flip the toggle (in float of course). If it has power there then the switch is fine.

The while/black runs back through the bumper plug and up to the under hood solenoid to activate it. If no power is leaving the switch on the white/black then the pump won't run.

However, if you do not have power there then the switch is dying.
  5. tuney443

I see you're a fellow Dutchess County PS member---welcome adegiulio
  6. adegiulio

adegiulio Junior Member

Thanks all for the responses. Yes, I did just push the mast back until the pins disengaged, so the plow is off. Of course, there is a storm coming on Wednesday, so I'd love to figure this out by then.I'll get out there later and try B&Bs test. I'll post any results I find. Yes Tuney, I'm up in Red Hook off of Budds Corners Road. I live on an annoying private road, which means we either have to pay for plowing, or I can do it myself. I figure after three years, the plow is paid for already. I'm up very early anyway, so I don't mind doing the neighbors a favor and plowing them out too...

Thanks again
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The place I used to work had a Boss 8ft straight blade and a couple winters ago we hooked up the plow and it had no power like you are describing. I removed the tower cover and found the Negative wire attached to the tower fell off. I cleaned off the rust re assembled the connection and was good to go. Hope this helps.
  8. adegiulio

adegiulio Junior Member

Just an update. I replaced the switch, and everything is working fine. Thanks for the help!