1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smarthitch problems

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bluehill, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Bluehill

Bluehill Junior Member

I've got a boss 8' 2 v plow with a smarthitch mount and I'm having problems geting the plow mounted. I'm not sure what to look for first to diagnos the problem so I'll outline what I've done so far and hopefully someone can tell me where to go from here.

I've got the truck lined up in position and the electronic connections hooked up. ThenI hit the toggle switch for the smarthitch and try and raise the plow with the in cab controls but nothing happens. I get no movement at all. I checked the hydraulic fluid witch is topped off and my plow lights work so I guess I can assume I'm getting power to the harness. any tips on where to start looking?

btw. I've had this plow sitting in my driveway for the last year with no use.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

When you hit the toggle switch on the light bar does it click in like it is supposed to?

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your attempting to attach by using the controller instead if the toggle, I'm assuming this is the older smart hitch 1 correct?

If so it's likely the smarthitch toggle itself is probably bad. Not uncommon on the old ones. Wouldn't hurt to pull the pump cover off and check for corrosion or a broken pin first though.

Make sure non of the pins are broken in the connector plug as well.

4. Bluehill

Bluehill Junior Member

Yes this is the the origional smarth hitch.

I did check the connections to make sure no pins were broken and gave a them a through cleaning. Origionally thinking it may be a bad connection.

So I guess the next step is to look at the possibility that the toggle switch is bad. It does click back and forth so I know its not just poor switch positioning. I bought the plow mounted to the truck so other than testing it out last by year cycling through the positions I really don't remember how this should work. When I toggle the smart hitch switch if it is working correctly should I see the light tower or frame move at all?

thanks
    rodger

5. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Dumb suggestion but do you have the plow in float mode

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Need to positively identify the SH type first, as many are confused on the SH1/SH2 differentations...

Is it a momentary toggle...or will it stay in the "detent" position when you flip it?

SH1 is a detented toggle that you attach/detach with the controller.

SH2 is a momentary toggle that raises the lift tower by holding the toggle in the up or down position....not with the controller.

7. Bluehill

Bluehill Junior Member

I've got the smart hitch #1 with the switch that has a detent on it. I guess at this point I need to figure out if its the controller or the switch that is causing the problem? Is there any way to test this without replacing the switch?

8. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Test the switch with a multimeter. Check for continuity between the pins when you flip the switch one way, and open circuit the other way. Or you could just replace the switch for good measure because they are cheap and prone to failure so it's insurance against a failure when the snow is flying. I like to be a cheap SOB most of the time, but I don't even flinch to replace a questionable component before it has a chance to cost me a plow job.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You could do a quick test on the controller by simply connecting the plow's electrical plugs and attempt to bump the wings forward slightly. If they move then there's a good chance the controller functions are fine.

It's likely a bad SH switch...

10. Bluehill

Bluehill Junior Member

Finally got things working. It turns out that there was a break in the power supply to the controler. Makes me feel like a ******* but I guess better than having to buy parts.

11. a&j lawncare

a&j lawncare Junior Member
    from ct

is the in cab controla on float mode???????????????