1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SmartHitch 2 fluid changing questions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jomofo, Sep 21, 2009.

1. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Hi guys - I have an 08 Power V XT that I want to change the fluid on... I have searched the forum and found a bunch of good info, but I need some clarification.. I am not near the plow right this second, and had planned to wait until the weekend to wrap this up, but it's snowing now and I'd like to avoid running the plow with the same fluid that's been sitting all summer. I really appreciate any assistance you guys can provide...

I saw the red text posted in another thread as a starting set of procedures - evidence of my ignorance is in blue:

1. Mount plow on truck

That part I'm real familiar with

2. Drain fluid

I haven't looked yet - the drain valve is obvious?

3. Unbolt hose at ram thats extended

The 'ram' is the cylider that pushes each wing? If so, at what point do I extend one of the wings?

4. push plow to other side and contract the ram that's unhooked to drain fluid from it.

At what point do I raise the plow so I can push the wings to the other side?

5. clean filter screen, where is it??

I have that question myself - the answer in the other thread didn't make any sense to me...

6. attach hose

hose? what hose? attach the mystery hose to what?

7. fill resevoir

The fill is pretty obvious? I think I know where it is, hanging off the side...

8. bleed to hose that was just attached.

I'm guessing the hose in the previous instruction is this one, but I'm not sure if it's attached to the drain valve or the ram or what...

9. cycle and top off.

I think I've got this one under control...

:help:

:drinkup:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) Start with the plow on the truck and in the vee position.

2) Look/feel under the light tower near the right side and you'll discover the reservoir drain protruding through the "shelf" that the pump unit sets on. Will be a square head pipe plug. Get a pan under there and allow the fluid to drain. Replace drain plug once it's done.

3) Remove the lower most hose on the lift cylinder, allowing all fluid in the lower half of the cylinder to drain. Have plenty of shop rags handy as it's messy. Reinstall the hose. No need to remove the upper hose as there's very little fluid trapped in the upper cylinder half.

4) There's also very little fluid trapped in the wing cylinders when in the vee position so there's no need to drain them; but there will be some in each of the hoses so you want to remove those for draining. Remove each one at the top of the manifold (from the 90* elbow) and drain them into your pan. Reinstall the hoses.

Now your ready to refill the system...

1) Pour about 1 1/2 qts into the fill elbow. Replace the fill cap. Be careful not to over tighten it, it's plastic. Just snug is good.

2) Operate the plow, first up and down once or twice, and then run each wing in and out a few times and then lower the plow to the ground. Be sure both wings are fully retracted.

3) Check the fluid again and top it off, in total it takes appox 2 qts depending on how much fluid was actually removed.

4) Allow the plow to set idle for a couple hours to allow any air to migrate from the fluid and check the fluid level one more time.

5) After the plow is placed back into service it's good practice to check the fluid level a final time and top off if needed. Good practice any time you have the hydro system opened up.

A note: it may take a time or two of mounting and dismounting until it finds it's final fluid level in the reservoir so it may push some out the internal breather under the pump cover. If it does, it'll do it when you lower the tower during detach. Nothing be concerned about it, totally normal. Once it pushes out any excess it will stop leaking. Makes a mess at times but it's just the nature of the beast.

It's also good practice about every 3 seasons or so to remove the pump unit from the lift tower so you can gain access to the reservoir in order to clean out any accumulated crud as well as clean the internal filters.

Just basic maintenance....

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Thank you very much B&B... This is exactly the info I have been looking for. I didn't try to tackle this last night - we only ended up with about 6", but it's snowing again now and we're all feeling hopeful. Will probably get at this tonight.

I don't know how good you are with a PC, but if you ever have any questions about yours, please hit me up. I'd appreciate the opportunity to help.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can hold my own on PC's pretty well but if I have an issue I can't resolve I'll certainly look you up thanks. :waving:

Let us know how you make out with the fluid change and if you get stuck on something don't hesitate to ask.

5. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you guys.. I just got done doing this about an hour ago. Everything seems to have gone great. It took just over 2 qts to fill it back up and it spit a little bit out of the overflow valve. No problems getting the drain and hoses on of off or really anything else. Repaired the snow flap that had torn away and I repainted it. Plow looks pretty much Iike when I bought it.

B&B, your instructions were spot on... I'm making sure to save a copy for next fall. Can't thank you enough - but if you're ever passing through Idaho Springs CO, make sure to email me so I can buy you a beer.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear all when well and happy to help. May be heading in your direction next summer so I'll certainly be sure to do so. :drinkup: