1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smarthitch 1 problem... expert advice needed

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by matto1225, Dec 2, 2012.

1. matto1225

matto1225 Junior Member

Boss RT3 vblade smarthitch 1 problem as follows:

When I hit my toggle switch to connect the plow it does absolutely nothing. Everything else on the plow works good. Here is what I already tested and done to help narrow it down.

1.) Plow control is in float mode.
    2.) I replaced the switch AND wire for the smarthitch. I have power to the top of the switch and it is brand new so that is not the problem.
    3.) I took off all valve coils and cleaned all connections on valve body/harness.
    4.) I switched the smart hitch coil with another coil that I know worked so I dont believe it is a coil problem.
    5.) Hydraulic fluid is at correct level.

I did all of the above which I guess are the most common problems. I am starting to think maybe the smarthitch valve cartridge is not working? OR is there possibly something I should be testing from the wiring harness itself? Power is going all the way to the coil on the smarthitch valve cartridge. Hopefully someone can help narrow this down!!!! Thanks for your time!

-Matt

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You covered alot of the good stuff already Matt. The next thing to do is check the SH coil for magnetism while operating the SH. Does it have mag? If no, then it's in the wiring or switch, if yes then the SH valve is stuck. You can remove it and free up it's internal spool with a small pick/screwdriver, re-install and then retest for proper operation.

Note- While you have the valve out (if deemed necessary) you can re-install it's coil and hotwire it with power and ground to watch for movement of it's internal spool to be sure it's working before re-installing it in the manifold.