1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Vector light bar ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Robhollar, Feb 11, 2004.

1. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I was wondering if anybody here uses a full size vector light bar. I just bought one and i cant seem to get the center pod (#5) to work unless i fire up the option "c" (blue wire). Is there a way to fire this pod with the rest of them????Rob

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's a Fedral light bar is it not? You try their web site see if they have instructions? Or search for a volenteer firefighter site, if there is such a thing they play with light bars and such all the time. Might be able to post a question on a site.

3. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

The smart vecter needs a controller to make it function properly. My buddy has one and can control every pod in differnt modes.

4. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Is your light bar the "v-shaped" lightbar? Those are nice ones....very sharp looking on a police car! ;-)

Blake
    WA

5. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

I agree, very slick looking lightbar. I however dont think that they are economical for plowing as they pull over 50 amps. My dad had one on his patrol car and it was the smart vector so that all thepods were syncronized. The 2 inner pods were alley lights and would be able to control where they go. Man, I could go on and on but it was just a very nice lightbar. If I was to get a lightbar for my truck, it would have to be a Whelen Mini-Edge w/ takedowns and alley's but I just dont have the money for that right now! LOL! Happy Plowing!

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Joe,
    they only pull 50 amps if you use all 7 pods at the same time. I have the option to run 1 - 2 -3 - 5 - or 7 pods by which switch I use. By the time up add up the amps from an edge bar with take downs and alleys your quickly approaching 40 or so amp I bet. The only time Ill want to use all 7 pods is in high traffic situations. More then likely ill use the 3 pods most of the time. That should be in the 15 amp range. That's less then what im using on my truck rite now.

MickiRig1

, yes it is a federal bar, and actually im finding like the linked 3 pods but I will call federal on tues to find out if I can separate the pods.

84deisel,

you can run the bar without the controller, its just this one pod seems to be linked to the 2 smart pods and when ever I use any of the options then the #1 pods wants to operate at the same time. You buddy must have had a custom bar if every pod was a smart pod and worked independent from one another. Very big bucks. My bar new is in the 1100 dollar range, and that doesn't include the switch to run it. Then the basic switch is 200 bucks and I couldn't tell you what the controller cost new.

I like the fact that I can control the smart pods (clear) for alley lights and rear facing work light, or I can adjust the lights to find the addy on a house by simply using a momenteraly switch I can point the light any where I want it.

Btw I got this light off of Ebay for an awesome price...Rob

Last edited: Feb 14, 2004
  7. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Here is my new (too me) Vector light bar. The @ clear pods closest pods to the middle are the smart pods...Rob

8. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Lets try it again, it didnt take the first time, still trying to get used to the new format..Rob

dsc0006.jpg

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You might try Galls too, they sell lights and might have the controller cheaper then federal. The bar when it first came out was $1,200 10 years ago (in the Galls catalog). That whould be too cool to have work lights you could aim from the cab.

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Actually after some digging it looks like what 84deisel buddy had was a Vision bar and not a Vector. The Vision has all smart pods and the Vector bar only has 2 smart pods. I dont know if the controler would even work for the Vector.

11. accipiter12

Very nice lightbar...post some pics. once you've got it up and running.

Blake
    WA

12. joethevacman14

joethevacman14 Member

13. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Smart Pods are the lights that act as oscilators, flashers, takedowns, alley lights, and can be toggled as spot lights. Here's my dads car. Did you buy that light bar new or used? Its very nice, good luck

pict4124.jpg

14. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I bought my bar used off of ebay, and i just came in from testing this bar in the dark, all i can say is wicked. I didnt realize just how bright this bar really is. Im still seeing spots....Rob

15. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

Yea they can really illuminate any area. Every once in a while Ill go out and play around with my dads ha. Do you have the Smart Vectors that can toggle and do all the things I listed before?

16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Yes i have the smart vector, but i dont have the vision which is the bar that all the pods are smart pods...Rob

17. accipiter12

Hey, nice photos! Thanks for showing them....

Blake
    WA

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Well here it is, not done yet but soon i hope...Rob

dsc0001.jpg

19. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

A pic from up top

dsc0002.jpg

20. accipiter12

wow, that looks so nice! Good looking lightbar.

Blake
    WA