1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Touch Controller or Joystick?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Four Alarm Lawn, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Four Alarm Lawn

Four Alarm Lawn Junior Member

I am purchasing a 8.2 V and looking for some opinions on the Smart Touch versus the Joystick. I have only run straight blades in the past with the joystick and the joystick worked great. Just curious how the Smart Touch compares. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks....

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Joy stick all the way. Bought one truck with the smart touch and hated it. Mount the joystick and be done with it.

3. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

i like the smart touch becasue you can keep it in you hand when you are shifting and you dont have to lean down if you mount it by your dash.

4. Stud Bro

Stud Bro Senior Member

Joy stick all the way i had the smart touch my dealer kept telling me to just give it time but after 3 runs i just couldnt get used to it joy stick is the way to go

5. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Go for the joystick

I was convinced on it when I bought the plow last year but the dealer talked me into the smartouch. He said give it some time and you love it. I plowed with it all year last year and i still do not like it so I bought a joystick for this year. So far I like the joystick but i only used it in the driveway, still waiting on that snow.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get the joy stick.

7. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

I just had this same debate....I got my boss plow last week and the dealer talked me into the smart touch. I would have taken the joystick but it's huge!!!

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Get the joystick. The dealers talk you into them because they are more $$$$$$$$$$$$. They tried that when I bought my first vee 3 years ago and they couldn't sell me on it. Same thing this year, different dealer, still couldn't get me on it. I will not trade my joystick!

9. Four Alarm Lawn

Four Alarm Lawn Junior Member

Thanks!!

Thanks for all of the help! I will go with the joystick!!!

10. fnltch

fnltch Junior Member

Get the joystick Much eaiser to run the joystick control while stacking snow.

11. gcsupraman

gcsupraman Senior Member

Really? It was the same price either way for me....I hope they redesign the joystick to make it smaller like the fisher.

One other think to note, with the smart touch when you release the button the plow soft stops (so it continues for a second). It could be difficult to get close to houses until I get used to it.

-Greg

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

For a V-plow....definetaly the joystick!:D

13. droptine

droptine Member

What is the cost of the Smart touch 2 or the Stick? are they interchangeable? Can I unplug one and plug in the other? I've got the joy stick this year and i don't think I'll like it. I've always used a hand held (Hiniker) control. I am waiting to try the stick but may be willing to trade after the 1st snow.

14. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

there is about a $100 difference between the 2. The smart touch is normally around $300 and the Joystick is about $200

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep.. either one will plug right into the under dash harness.

16. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

I love my handheld... used to use the joystick. After 2 or 3 plowings I got used to the handheld, and now I wouldn't have it any other way!

17. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm a handheld guy, my dad's a handheld guy, my 3rd plow guy is a handheld guy.

I don't understand the joystick idea.

You keep the smartouch in your hand on your shifting lever so you can move the plow while shifting, or backing up quickly.

Boss's new controllers even have a strap, so you can strap it right to your hand so you don't even have to hold it with your fingers.