1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart locks on an older V ?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by notime, Oct 29, 2007.

1. notime

notime Junior Member

Hello,
    I ran across an older RT1 plow mount etc with a price I couldn't pass up. My question is will the smart locks work on the older V's? I am new to Boss but have been looking over this site and didn't see a lot of discussion about the older V's. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thanks

2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

That is a good question. I am curious how the smart lock work in general?

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The smart locks will work on it.

I'm not a big fan of the rtI I think you could find a rtII cheep also.

4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Ill show you once it starts to snow. But when you backdrag and your blade folds into the scoop position then you know. The smartlocks will keep the blade in the same positipon unless you hit over pressure point and the wings will begin to give.

Also, did you get your plow on yet?

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

This is a direct quote from B&B.....The smart locks are nothing more than a regular angle cylinder with an internal locking mechanism that locks the cylinder to prevent the wing from pulling the ram further out than whatever position you have the wings in when back dragging. Boss uses a single acting cylinder on the wings so the wings have the capability to pull the angle cylinder out when a load is placed on the wing (like when back dragging). Without the smart lock cylinders, the wings will be just forward by the load when back dragging.This is the biggest down fall of the Boss V's, you have to purchase the Smart locks as an option at a substantial cost, when they should be standard equipment...(Boss, are you listening )?
    Hope this helps and also that B&B doesn't mind

6. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I do not use smart locks.
    I never really had much of a problem back dragging with mine ether.
    Maybe, I need to take a extra pass that a straight plow might have gotten.
    But the Boss V is a heavy plow it will not ride up on the snow while back dragging as easy as a straight blade.
    Just make sure to have your springs tight enough.

There nice I hear(smart locks) but not necessary
    P.S.We get heavy snow off of the lake .

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not all all hydro, help yourself..saves me from having to do it...:D

8. notime

notime Junior Member

Hello,
    Thanks for the answer. I have another question. Does anyone have a manual for this older V? I down loaded from the Boss site the RTII and RTIII information. Thanks

9. MDSP

MDSP Member

Smarts locks will work. I put a pair on my first 9'2" RT1 V. Wouldn't plow with a boss that didn't have them.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I can't recall Boss ever having RT1 stuff on a digital file..since they were "pre Internet". To the best of my knowledge, you'd need to go to a dealer for a paper copy or have someone with a paper manual scan it for you. Or, just ask us here about anything you ever wanted to know about an RT1, and I'm sure we could come up with an answer..:D

11. notime

notime Junior Member

Hello Again,
    Thanks for the response. I would like to know what the part numbers are for the valve body valves etc. The fellow I bought it from says the last time he used it one side was drifting back when he was plowing. Am I looking at just a good cleaning of the valves etc. Or should I replace relief valves etc. Thanks again in advance for any response.
    Notime.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd first pull the valve out for the wing that's drifting back and give it a good cleaning and replace the O-rings on the valve before replacing it. There a piece of cake to remove and/or change. Although the RT1's are a bit of a dinosaur, any Boss dealer can still get parts for them if you do need them.

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Meyer Hydro-Flush is a great product. Will free up sticky valves. Just make sure not to leave it in the system after flushing.

14. notime

notime Junior Member

Thanks,
    I'll pull and clean the valves, replace o rings and give it a try. I still have to get everything home so I can start mounting the parts.
    Thanks again for the information.
    Notime

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

notime, I dug up some part# for you for your RT1. These are the most common replacement parts....

MSC1637- Valve Lift/lower
    HYD1638- Coil (for lift lower valve)
    HYD1639- Wing relief valve
    HYD1640-Check valve
    HYD1606- Pressure and return hose between pump and valve body (18")
    HYD1607- Lift cylinder hose (54")
    HYD1611- Right cylinder hose (66")
    HYD1610- Left cylinder hose (54")
    HYD1609- wing cylinder hose (L and R) (48")
    MSC1512- Release cable assy
    HYD1603- Lift cylinder

Some of these parts will interchange with the RT2 and 3 plows.
    You can use your RT2 manual you downloaded to get any of the other common part# I didn't list here, like the wing and trip springs, eye bolts, gear pumps and pump motors..

Hope it's helpful for you...

16. notime

notime Junior Member

Hey,
    Thanks,
    Thats the stuff I was looking for as I finish going over the plow these are the numbers I need to order some of the stuff I see it needs.
    One more question has anybody put the new style cutting edges on this plow. If it's similar to the RTII I saw that post.
    Thanks again for all the information.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If there is a will there is a way.
    A drill and a grinder are your friends.

18. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Smart lock

Hey Notime
    I just bought a RT1 for $250 and needed to do the same things you need. The angle cylinders are HYD01603 the smart locks are HYD07034 and are $375 a piece or so. I'm still shopping around for those. Also if you need new cutting edges the part # is BAX00098 and then they have weld on tabs to cover the center part # MSC01591. I am still trying to find out if the new edges with curb gaurd will work. I know that on the RT1 the bolts were 1/2 in and on the newer they are 5/8 in I might just drill the holes bigger or if need be torch new holes if they don't line up. As far as hoses and soliniods must are the same as the RTII. Hope this helps.
    Adam

19. notime

notime Junior Member

Hello Again,
    Thanks for the info. We are used to fixing and modifying things so we should be able to make it all work out.
    Notime