1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smart lock

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CityGuy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Ok dumb question but I'm not a boss man. What are smart locks and why and where do you use them?

2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Click the "search" button.

It's a single acting hydraulic ram that can't be pulled out unless there is hydraulic pressure applied. It's used on v-blades so the wings stay put when backdragging rather than folding forward. It does this through a little pressure-sensitive gizmo at the fluid port that unlocks when pressure is applied which saves the engineers from having to use double-acting cylinders on the wings. An external spring provides the required retraction force.

3. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Right. They are cylinders that lock in place so you can back-drag without the wings folding forward. In case this isn't obvious, they go on the V-plow and are not needed on straight blades.

4. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Does anyone use them on straight blades?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What use would they serve on a straight? :confused:

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No such thing.

Don't smartlocks make the plow "more smarter"??

7. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

only when your in reverse

8. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Sometimes my plow doesnt hold its position, just under the weight of the snow Im pushing. I never have that problem with a fisher V or Fisher straight blade. I was wondering if the smartlocks were a solution to that problem, or if there is some sort of adjustment I can make.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I understand your thinking on using the SL's to help that issue Ford ...but it should hold on its own under most condtions..of course it will depend on how much load your actually pushing.

Might want to stop by the dealer and get a pressure gage on it in order to see where the relief setting is...could simply be set too low. :waving:

10. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Is that something that I can change? What pressure is it supposed to be set at?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes it can be changed/adjusted but unless you have the pressure gage to tee into an angle hose it's something thats best left for either a plow dealer or hydraulic shop to handle. If you simply go in there and begin turning on the relief setting with no ability to actually check the final pressure you can create you own problems later.