1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Lock Cylinders

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by adhiggie, Jan 3, 2011.

1. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what exactly the smart lock cylinders are supposed to add? I can back drag ok, but occasionally I do have a wing move on my 7’6” V. I have read a few threads but don’t quite understand. Thanks.
  2. EricD701

EricD701 Senior Member

the smart locks don't allow the blades to fold forward when you back drag I have them and have never had an issue.
  3. bullettooth81

bullettooth81 Senior Member

Will they fold back when you push? I run into issues on my straight blade when pushing with the outside ends of the blade, it wants to angle and not push the berm.
  4. White Knight

White Knight Member

Smart lock cylinders have a restriction internal valve that will relieve at 3500 PSI when back dragging. As for the straight blade Smart lock cylinders are not intended for them since they have a cross over relief as far as angling when you push maybe look for a bad/damaged angle valve or a soft setting on your relief. Straight blade relief should be set at about 3800 PSI.
  5. MadeintheShade

MadeintheShade Member

I had my left wing fold back the other day when i pressed up against a parking block. I also noticed when i looked a while later that there was some hydraulic fluid on the springs under the resivoir . haven't noticed a leak any other time. Could that have caused the resivoir to overflow?
  6. White Knight

White Knight Member

Pushing over relief shouldn’t cause the reservoir to over flow unless the reservoir is overfilled. Other causes might be air in the system burping out, the return tube /return strainer is dislodged. Try removing the black hydraulics cover, wipe down the reservoir to verify that is where the fluid is coming from. I would also check fittings to make sure they are all tight. There are several possible leak points behind the black cover.