1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Lock Cylinders are they needed??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by grasmancolumbus, Nov 19, 2008.

1. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

I am having a new 8 2 Boss V installed, The dealer seemed to talk me out of the smart lock cylinders. Should I get them ??
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

If your plowing drives a lot of guys use them . If your doing lots not really needed.
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Do you back drag alot?

I just bought a new boss V and got them, dealer highly suggested them.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  4. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I would just get them reguardless. Its only a 250 dollar option and you will more than likely be doing enough backbragging to make it worth it.
  5. grasmancolumbus

If you back drag with out them are they going to fold out
  6. stroker79

Thats what I hear, I have smartlocks so I dont have direct experiance with the standard cylinders
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your planning to do any backdragging at all it's well worth the investment to purchase them now with the install. You'll be glad you did later as they don't BD very well without them.

Why they're still not a standard feature is simply ridiculous.
  8. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Buy Them

Get them, they cost a ton more if you buy them later... worth every penny.

9. grasmancolumbus

Dealer wants $300 PLUS the standard ones back in return for the smart locks Does that seem right >? Of course they are out of stock naturally!
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep. $250-$300 is the going rate...and no you won't get both sets of cylinders for that price.
  11. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

I agree, as far as I can tell there is no disadvantage to having them. So scrap the old ones and just make the SL's standard.
  12. GOFN2

GOFN2 Junior Member

On a new plow purchase??? No it does not. The plow box either comes with standard or smartlocks....
  13. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

I know this thread is a month old but I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

If he wants the old cylinders back, tell the dealer they need to pay you for them. If they are brand new, they should be worth something to them. The smartlock cylinders are not cheap. That is why I always offer up the smartlocks up front on a new plow install. $230 for the complete setup now vs. $300 each cylinder later. I would not however, take in used cylinders.
  14. grasmancolumbus

still waiting on my plow been week and half
  15. stroker79

It took my dad a month to get his.

He just had it installed on wednesday, hopefully your areas stock isnt run as thin as ours has been
  16. grasmancolumbus

Cant belive it, I took the truck in they got the truck side done, but they were out of the smart cylinders so they kept the plow said if I took it and used it they would not trade the stock cylinders in for the upgraded ones. Not a big deal we have not had snow but WTF Cant take this long for a f ing UPS package!
  17. Blink74

Blink74 Member

Hey grass man. You dealing with Kaffenbarger? I'm looking to pick up a new V from them shortly. Where you at?
    I'm on the Northside.
  18. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Both of my plows came with them. Dont know about buyin them sepperate. My dealer gives me everything at cost plus %10 and free stuff a lot so...

But they are great for backdragging. I bet the standard cylinders are really bad on bigger than 7'6" I assume that because i had standards on an older 7'6" and they flopped around.

Get um!
  19. Diesel Bob

Diesel Bob Member

Just purchased my new 8'2" VXT ($5100 installed) and my dealer said they are not needed unless you get the 9'2". I had smartlocks on my 1999 8'2" V (same dealer) so I will be interested in seeing how things go this year with out them.
  20. stroker79

GL with that, I bet you decide that you need them! I dont see 6 inches on each side making much of a difference so if the 9 2 needs them, the 8 2 will also. I have them on my 8 2 so i cant say one way or the other.