1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Light Needs Adjusting

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Enzo, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Hello,

Can someone please inform me how to adjust the height of the Smart Light. When i got the plow up it blocks most of the lighting so its hard to see sometimes. My main headlights are also blocked due to the plow as well. Somebody help please

2. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I would like to know the same. Mine point low. And the beam crosses each other.

3. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

I noticed there is a bolt there and a nut so i am not sure if you adjust that or something else?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Loosen the two mounting nuts under each light using a 3/4" wrench. Loosen them enough to allow your to move the entire light housing wherever you want it, and then re-tighten the two nuts.

5. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Is it possible to increase the height with it? I am pretty sure I can move it left or right by doing that but would it allow me to raise it?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes if you loosen them enough you can tip them up and down as well.

Not alot of up and down adjustment on them though.

7. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

ok cool thank you

8. Indy

Indy Senior Member

YES, as BB said take a 3/4" deep well socket and just under both headlights for the back side, under the light bar are two theaded bolts that come out of the botttom of the light housing. Loosen them (make sure they are not just spinning in the light head) Once you have loosened them you can point the light up or down on the ball and socket type base on the laps, at that time you can also point them more right or more left. (NOTE: If the metal 1/2 round ball part on the light side is crimped or deformed from previous light settings it is very hard to get the lights to NOT go back to that position but it can be done. When you go to tighten the bolts back (make sure they aren't spinning) and have a helper hold the lamps where you want them pointed as this will change some when you add the pressure of clamping down the lamps and they will likely want to go back to the way the where, but with a little help and starting with OVER CORRECTION the will wind up where you want them. Another trick that I am sure BOSS is not hot about is if the lamps keep going back to the wrong spot (pointed too low) you can take the spacers from between the lamp and mounting bracket ONE end is FLAT and the OTHER is NOT FLAT it is cupped to acceptt the light, you can file or grind a SLIGHT angle in that (say 5-10*) and then when you put it mack in place and crank it down the light will pull back and aim UP .......TA DA not super hard If you screw up you can get new spacers at BOSS and then if you lights are shining on your plow, lower your plow....................:salute:

9. Indy

Indy Senior Member

P S Your headlights on your truck (factory) should be off if your plow lights are on..........I could be wrong but just marking and turn signal lights should function and you should have marking and headlights on your plow side (but no head lights on your truck) or something in your relays are not wired right.

You should also have a swithch inside to switch from Plow Lights to Truck Lights.........but not both at the same time:salute:

10. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Oh yeah that is my setup for sure. I know that if both lights were on something would be wrong. Thanks for the tip about the spacers btw. I think I will just go to the hardware store and put some in between there to raise it that way.

11. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

lights

boss make's headlight elevator brackets to raise the light tower up for the tall trucks and tall hood's i have some on my plow and they make quite a bit of a difference ! part # msc03684

12. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Ok thanks I was also thinking of just putting in some thick washers to lift it. This should work to

13. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I tried the other day to raise mine some.Maybe I gained a 1/4''--not sure. Seems to me like piss-poor hardware.I haven't plowed yet at night to see if it made a difference.I might try some tapered slotted washers I saw at my favorite hardware store.

14. yard5864

yard5864 Senior Member

Also a trick for aiming headlights... Park about 25 feet away from a wall (flat surface) raise your plow approx.1" off the ground. Turn on your truck headlights, and where the beams shine on the wall put a small piece of tape. Then flip your switch to your plow lights. Loose the bolts on each light and line them up to the tape on the wall. Retighten everything, and your good to go.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2008
  15. Enzo

Enzo Senior Member

Yes that would work but the lights seem to move after plowing for a bit so i know i am going to be getting washers and sticking them in between.