1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by peterk800xc, Aug 20, 2014.

1. peterk800xc

peterk800xc Senior Member

I am buying a new BOSS for my new RAM and see that the new plows come with the SMART HITCH already on them. When I bought my last plow years ago this was offered as an option. I did not get it on that plow as the Dealer told me they were a lot of electrical issues with them.On the new plows is this Smart Hitch been improved and if it does not work for some reason, can you still attach and detach the plow manually? Thanks.:mechanic:
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

YES you can REMOVE without POWER.

good luck with RAM.
  3. peterk800xc

Thanks, but can you also attach without power also.
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure you can. Just need a wrench to crack open the hydraulic line
  5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you can take it off and put it on with out power and without opening lines. BUT is supposedly will put air in to places that is is not supposed to be. I have pulled one down and not seen any oil come out, but they did not write this for fun. I have not had any problems with one, battery was dead on the truck so I pulled it down to take the plow off.

From Page 21 in the BOSS manuel "If your plow is equipped with SmartHitch2™
    you must hydraulically power the light tower down. Do
    not manually pull the tower down. Failure to
    hydraulically power the light tower down will create an
    air pocket in the hydraulic system. Oil will spill out of
    your internal filler cap"
  6. peterk800xc

Thanks for this info.I guess now all you can get new is the Smart hitch,no more manual pushing the light tower up.ussmileyflag
  7. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Info I was wondering about. Thanks maxwellp for post.