1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

smart hitch switch doesnt work

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by skidooer, Oct 26, 2008.

1. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

8'2" Boss V-plow RT-3
    2001 Dodge ram cummins diesel

does anybody no what could be wrong, plow moves but the switch does not work to push the plow into locking position, also the parking lights come on but the head lights do not come on.

thanks for all the help in advance.

2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Use the down arrow on your controller and make sure all pressure is off.

How do I know this (I'm a rookie), had this problem today while moving the plow into the garage. Can't help you on the light question.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  3. matzke3

matzke3 Member

When using the smart hitch system the in truck controller needs to be switched on and put into the float position, (hold down until the backlight turns red). As far as the lights it could be alot of things, boss also uses an in cab truck/plow headlamp switch, otherwise I would check the plug. Good luck.

4. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

traced all the wiring,checked all relays,grounds and finally checked the toggle switch under the dash,replaced it and bingo everything works.

thanks for the help.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The toggle switch in the truck has nothing to do with the Smart Hitch attach/detach capability. It only switches the truck and plow lights. You can complelty disconnect the light toggle and everything will still work on the plow except the head lights. Sounds more like an issue with the black/red power wire supplying the 12V to the harness.