1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch, RapidTach? What does it all mean?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jleveke, Oct 15, 2015.

1. jleveke

jleveke Junior Member

We are looking to add another plow to our fleet and I've found some good deals on used Boss plows on Craigslist. I'm just very confused about what SH2 or RT3 means. Are they kind of the same thing? What's the difference between a RT2? Are the mounts and wiring the same on all of these?

Also looking at adding a tailgate spreader to one of our trucks, does anyone know what happened to the spreader that had the power lift on and off, I can't find any information online. I've got a Western hitch mount but not easy to put on and off and impossible when there is salt still left.
  2. cwren2472

cwren2472 Member

RT3 and RT2 refer to the specific hook-up type for the mount that goes on the truck. There is nothing wrong with the RT2, but it has been obselete for a decade and a half, so I would be hesitant to buy one unless you were completely sure it came with everything that will fit your exact vehicle.
    You would likely have trouble matching up the pieces otherwise, especially for a more recent truck.

SH2 and SH1 are both models of the RT3. Functionally there isn't much difference (the SH2 has a switch on the tower to raise it up, the SH1 requires using the controller to raise it) though it would be a sign that the plow is fairly old if it is a SH1 as the SH2 has been around since early 2000s.
  3. kendog

kendog Junior Member
    from chicago

I have an rt3 sh2 boss plow that would fit your application. it is a 7.5' straight blade that has the boss plow wings on it. I also have 2 boss tgs1100 salt spreaders. one of them is the hydraulic attachment, the other is the rt3 attachment. either one comes on and off of the truck easily with one person. call me if you have any interest. we can talk numbers. ken 708-306-7277