1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Smart Hitch Problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bltp203, Jan 23, 2008.

1. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Ok here is the problem.

When I put the truck into the plow, hook up the electrical, and hit the smart hitch, the pump will make a sound, but the piston will not move. I have to manually push the headgear up to make the hook up.

The plow works fine otherwise. It goes up, down, left and right with no problems.

So I have eliminated the switch, electrical connections, and the hitch pins as problems. I thought maybe the plow was frozen somehow because I had just got back from the coin wash yesterday and thats when the problem started, but that would not explain why the plow works once its hooked up.

I thought this problem was posted a while back, but I can't find it.

Plow is in the garage with a heater going until I can figure this out.
  2. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep the SH switch could be the likely candidate as the older non sealed ones will give you problems when they get wet.

But it could also be the SH valve itself so don't rule it out. Easy way to test it is to run a jumper from the pos post on the pump motor to the SH coil pos terminal (one with the black wire). If it will then connect on it's own, then you can be pretty sure it's a SH switch problem and not the valve or coil.
  4. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Well after thawing the plow out the smart hitch works fine. I guess I am confused on the fact that if the pump runs, but the piston doesnt move, then isnt the switch fine?

That would let me to assume the the smart hitch valve was frozen.

STILL LOVE MY BOSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

When I hook up if I just put the switch in the up position the motor just runs, but the headgear does not move.To get mine to work I first have to try to lower the headgear even though it is already down. So, I go from the down position on the switch to the up in one motion and the headgear will move up everytime. I figured it was normal I might look into it in the spring, but for now it works fine.
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The switch performs two functions.. it activates the pump, and controls the lift and Smart Hitch valve (during attachment). Since its a 6 pin DPDT switch performing two functions, it is possible that the water is affecting one side/function of the switch.For the water to affect the valves to the pint that it wouldn't work, it would have to be internal water in the hydro system. I'd still consider changing it out as merely spraying it with water from a car wash shouldn't affect it.

Not normal yama. Shouldn't need to do that to get it to raise. Sounds like a possible switch problem also..